Applying for a Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag (VOG) in the Netherlands
Many jobs in the Netherlands require you to have a Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag – VOG (certificate of conduct). This also includes volunteer work. Examples are if you are going to work with confidential information or with children. A VOG shows that your behaviour is satisfactory for a new job. You may also need a VOG to apply for a visa or if you want to emigrate to another country.
There are several ways to apply for a VOG:
- Are you registered with your municipality in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP)? Then you or your employer can submit a fully completed application form to the municipality.
- Are you not registered with your municipality in the BRP? For example, if you are working in the Netherlands temporarily or living outside the Netherlands? Then send your application with all accompanying appendices to Justis by post (in Dutch). You can also download the application form from the justis.nl website.
Do you own a company or organisation that requires a VOG? Then you can apply for a VOG voor rechtspersonen – VOG RP (certificate of conduct for legal entities).
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Municipality of De Bilt: Applying for a Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag (VOG)
A Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag – VOG (certificate of conduct) is proof of good behavior.
What should you bring with you to your appointment?
- A VOG application form filled in completely by your (future) employer. Your employer indicates in this form what should be screened for;
- A valid proof of identity (passport, ID card or driver's license);
- Money: the certificate must be paid for in cash or by pin at the time of application. PIN is preferred.
Apply for it yourself?
You apply for a VOG in person. You can make an appointment.
Application by the employer
Your future employer can also apply online for a VOG at the Dienst Justis. Your employer must have eHerkenning.
The Ministry of Security and Justice will evaluate your application. Two to four weeks after the application you will receive the VOG by mail from the Dienst Justis. If the Ministry rejects your application, you will receive a letter about this.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of De Bilt
Soestdijkseweg Zuid 173