Applying for a Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag (VOG) in the Netherlands
Many jobs in the Netherlands require you to have a Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag – VOG (certificate of conduct). This also includes volunteer work. Examples are if you are going to work with confidential information or with children. A VOG shows that your behaviour is satisfactory for a new job. You may also need a VOG to apply for a visa or if you want to emigrate to another country.
There are several ways to apply for a VOG:
- Are you registered with your municipality in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP)? Then you or your employer can submit a fully completed application form to the municipality.
- Are you not registered with your municipality in the BRP? For example, if you are working in the Netherlands temporarily or living outside the Netherlands? Then send your application with all accompanying appendices to Justis by post (in Dutch). You can also download the application form from the justis.nl website.
Do you own a company or organisation that requires a VOG? Then you can apply for a VOG voor rechtspersonen – VOG RP (certificate of conduct for legal entities).
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Applying for a Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag (VOG)
Please note: you can apply for a Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag – VOG (certificate of conduct) only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality
When you apply for the VOG through the municipality:
- completed and signed application form
- all the documents you need to attach according to the application form
- valid ID
- debit card
authorize someone else
If you apply to the municipality for the VOG for someone else, that person will bring the following with them:
- completed application form with all requested documents
- authorization letter
- copy of your ID
- his or her own identity card
- debit card
You can apply for a VOG in three ways:
Apply for a VOG through the municipality
- You will receive a form from your employer or other organization.
- You submit this fully completed form to the municipality where you are registered. Make an appointment online via https://www.culemborg.nl/afspraak-maken#select/ or call 0345 477 700
Apply for VOG online
You can only apply for a VOG online if the application has been prepared online by your employer or other organization.
- You will receive an e-mail that you need a VOG.
- You can log in with your DigiD via a link in this e-mail.
- You check the data.
- You confirm that the data is correct.
Request a VOG directly from Justis
You must apply for the VOG directly from Justis if you:
- does not appear in the Personal Records Database (BRP)
- have no fixed place of residence or residence
Volunteers who work with children or people with intellectual disabilities can receive a free VOG.
You will receive the VOG or the refusal within 4 weeks at the address you specify in the application.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Culemborg