Are you planning to get married? If you intend to get married, you must notify the municipality of this at least 2 weeks and not more than 1 year before the wedding.
- you must be at least 18 years of age;
- you cannot marry someone who is already married or in a civil partnership;
- you cannot be related to one other, e.g. grandparent, grandchild, parent, child or sibling.
Are you getting married to a non-Dutch citizen in the Netherlands? Then different conditions apply.
If you intend to marry someone of the same sex, you can get married in the Netherlands in the presence of the civil registrar. This is called a civil marriage, and you are only legally married once you have had a civil ceremony. In addition, it is possible to have a religious ceremony in some churches, but not all churches allow it. Check first with the church where you want to have the ceremony. A church wedding can only take place after the civil ceremony.
If you are getting married outside the Netherlands and are not yet 18 years old, your marriage will only be recognised in the Netherlands once both spouses have reached 18 years of age.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
If you want to get married in the municipality of Nieuwkoop or register your partnership, you can choose from various ceremonies.
If you were not born/married/divorced in the Netherlands and/or do not have Dutch nationality, we advise you to contact the municipality in good time. You may need additional documents to get married.
If you want to get married or register your partnership in the municipality of Nieuwkoop, you can arrange this online. After your reservation you will receive a confirmation by e-mail with additional information. Please note: if you want to get married at a location other than the town hall, please contact the wedding location first. You cannot reserve a free marriage/registered partnership online. To do this, please contact the municipality by telephone.
Free ceremony: free
Short ceremony: € 166.60
- Mon to Fri 10am-4pm, costs: €444.30 (permanent wedding location);
- Mon to Fri 10am-4pm, costs: €805.30 (own wedding location);
- Sat 10am-4pm, costs €621.40 (permanent wedding location);
- Sat 10am-4pm, costs €982.40 (own wedding location).
If you have opted for the appointment of your own wedding officiant, the following costs will be charged:
- own wedding official (not yet sworn in by the court) € 99.60.
- own wedding official (sworn in by the court) € 135.55.
With a free ceremony you have to count on a waiting period of about 4 months.
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 20:00
8:30 - 13:00