Applying to get married in the Netherlands
Are you planning to get married? If you intend to get married, you must notify the municipality of this at least 2 weeks and not more than 1 year before the wedding.
There are certain requirements for marriage that everyone must meet:
- you must be at least 18 years of age;
- you cannot marry someone who is already married or in a civil partnership;
- you cannot be related to one other, e.g. grandparent, grandchild, parent, child or sibling.
Are you getting married to a non-Dutch citizen in the Netherlands? Then different conditions apply.
If you are getting married outside the Netherlands and are not yet 18 years old, your marriage will only be recognised in the Netherlands once both spouses have reached 18 years of age.
For more information on giving notice of marrriage, go to the website of the municipality where you intend to mary.
You can use the checklist to find out what you need to do to prepare for getting married.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Marriage or registered partnership
You register your marriage with the municipality, providing all the details about yourself, your partner and your witnesses. This can be done up to 2 weeks before the wedding date. You can do it online or at the town hall.
Arrange directly online
Make an appointment
If neither you nor your partner live in the Netherlands, you must give notice of your marriage in the municipality of Den Haag (The Hague). You can find more information on how to register a marriage for Dutch citizens living outside the Netherlands at the netherlandsworldwide.nl website.
What do you need to know
- You report your intended marriage or registered partnership to the municipality where you are getting married
- If you are going to get married or register your partnership in Hilversum, you must notify us at least 14 days in advance
- You can make the notification no earlier than 1 year before the wedding or partnership date
- The notification is valid for 1 year. If you are not married by then, you have to report it again
- Your personal data (of yourself, parents, divorce and/or partnerships) must be correct in the Personal Records Database (BRP). Check this with your DigiD on mijnoverheid.nl
- If your details are incorrect or if you are missing information, please call the municipality as soon as possible via 14 035
Additional information is needed in these situations:
- You were born abroad
- You do not have Dutch nationality
- You have lived abroad or are living there now
- Your previous marriage ended abroad
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Hilversum