Applying to get married in the Netherlands
Are you planning to get married? If you intend to get married, you must notify the municipality of this at least 2 weeks and not more than 1 year before the wedding.
There are certain requirements for marriage that everyone must meet:
- you must be at least 18 years of age;
- you cannot marry someone who is already married or in a civil partnership;
- you cannot be related to one other, e.g. grandparent, grandchild, parent, child or sibling.
Are you getting married to a non-Dutch citizen in the Netherlands? Then different conditions apply.
If you are getting married outside the Netherlands and are not yet 18 years old, your marriage will only be recognised in the Netherlands once both spouses have reached 18 years of age.
For more information on giving notice of marrriage, go to the website of the municipality where you intend to mary.
You can use the checklist to find out what you need to do to prepare for getting married.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Marriage and registered partnership
You register your marriage with the municipality, providing all the details about yourself, your partner and your witnesses. This can be done up to 2 weeks before the wedding or registration date. You can do it online or at the town hall.
If you want to get married or enter into a registered partnership, you can do so online here. You do need DigiD for this.
Make an appointment
Online via www.goirle.nl/afspraak of call +31 13 531 06 10
If neither you nor your partner live in the Netherlands, you must give notice of your marriage in Den Haag. You can find more information here: Register a marriage for Dutch citizens living abroad.
When you register your marriage, you make a number of choices, which you communicate to the municipality. These choices relate to the ceremony and the venue. The costs depend on your wishes and our possibilities.
The ceremony is the official part of your marriage or registered partnership. You can choose from:
- Free ceremony at monday morning (free of charge).
- Simple ceremony
- Elaborate ceremony
If you opt for an elaborate ceremony, you can choose who leads the ceremony. You have the following choices:
- Wedding registrar from the municipality. Our wedding registrar will contact you a few weeks before the wedding or registration date to get to know you. If you have a preference for a wedding registrar, please inform us of this.
- Family member or acquaintance. If you would like a family member or an acquaintance to be your ‘own wedding registrar’, please contact us.
You can get married in various places in Goirle. You can choose for yourself:
- Municipality wedding venue.
- Wedding venue of your choice. If you opt for a wedding venue of your own choice, you must request this from the municipality by telephone +13 31 531 06 10 or via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you choose your own venue you may have to pay additional costs.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Goirle
9:00 - 17:00
9:00 - 19:00
9:00 - 17:00
9:00 - 17:00
9:00 - 12:30