Are you planning to get married? If you intend to get married, you must notify the municipality of this at least 2 weeks and not more than 1 year before the wedding.
- you must be at least 18 years of age;
- you cannot marry someone who is already married or in a civil partnership;
- you cannot be related to one other, e.g. grandparent, grandchild, parent, child or sibling.
Are you getting married to a non-Dutch citizen in the Netherlands? Then different conditions apply.
If you intend to marry someone of the same sex, you can get married in the Netherlands in the presence of the civil registrar. This is called a civil marriage, and you are only legally married once you have had a civil ceremony. In addition, it is possible to have a religious ceremony in some churches, but not all churches allow it. Check first with the church where you want to have the ceremony. A church wedding can only take place after the civil ceremony.
If you are getting married outside the Netherlands and are not yet 18 years old, your marriage will only be recognised in the Netherlands once both spouses have reached 18 years of age.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Marriage and registration partnership
You make a number of choices when planning and registering your intention to enter a civil partnership. These choices relate to the type of ceremony and the venue. The costs depend on your wishes and the possibilities in the municipality.
The ceremony is the official part of entering your civil partnership. You can choose from:
- no ceremony (free of charge)
- simple ceremony
- elaborate ceremony
If you choose an elaborate ceremony, you can choose who leads the ceremony. You can choose from:
- wedding registrar from the municipality
- family member or acquaintance
If you choose a wedding registrar from the municipality, a registrar from the municipality will contact you a few weeks before the planned date to introduce themselves and find out more about you and your partner.
Do you want a family member or an someone you know to conduct the ceremony? If so, you must contact the municipality yourself.
Location of the ceremony
You can hold the ceremony to enter your civil partnership at various locations in the municipality. You can choose from:
- a municipal building
- a location of your own choice
If you want to hold the ceremony at a location of your choice, contact the municipality.
- you were born in the Netherlands
- you live in the Netherlands from the age of 18
- you are a citizen of the European Union.
- were you born abroad and/or were you married abroad? Then we need additional information from you. Then ask via the contact form or we will call you
You pay a fee for this service. For more information. See the municipality's website for this.