Are you planning to get married? If you intend to get married, you must notify the municipality of this at least 2 weeks and not more than 1 year before the wedding.
- you must be at least 18 years of age;
- you cannot marry someone who is already married or in a civil partnership;
- you cannot be related to one other, e.g. grandparent, grandchild, parent, child or sibling.
Are you getting married to a non-Dutch citizen in the Netherlands? Then different conditions apply.
If you intend to marry someone of the same sex, you can get married in the Netherlands in the presence of the civil registrar. This is called a civil marriage, and you are only legally married once you have had a civil ceremony. In addition, it is possible to have a religious ceremony in some churches, but not all churches allow it. Check first with the church where you want to have the ceremony. A church wedding can only take place after the civil ceremony.
If you are getting married outside the Netherlands and are not yet 18 years old, your marriage will only be recognised in the Netherlands once both spouses have reached 18 years of age.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
You register your marriage with the municipality, providing all the details about yourself, your partner and your witnesses. This can be done up to 2 weeks before the wedding date. You can do it online or at the town hall. Check for more information the website of the municipality of Bergeijk.
If neither you nor your partner live in the Netherlands, you must give notice of your marriage in the municipality of Den Haag (The Hague). You can find more information on how to register a marriage for Dutch citizens living outside the Netherlands at the netherlandsworldwide.nl website.
When you register your marriage, you make a number of choices, which you communicate to the municipality. These choices relate to the ceremony and the venue. The costs depend on your wishes and the possibilities of the municipality of Bergeijk.
The ceremony is the official part of your marriage. You can choose from:
- marriage free of charge;
- elaborate ceremony.
If you opt for an elaborate ceremony, you determine who leads the ceremony. You have the following choices:
- wedding registrar from the municipality. The wedding registrar will contact you a few weeks before the wedding date to get acquainted. If you have a preference for a wedding registrar, please inform the municipality;
- your own wedding registrar. The condition is that the wedding registrar has already been sworn in at the court.
You can get married in various places. You can choose from:
- a wedding venue of the municipality;
- a wedding venue of your own choice.
If you want to hold the ceremony at a wedding venue of your choice, contact the municipality.
You pay a fee for this service. For more information, contact the municipality of Bergeijk.
Burgemeester Magneestraat 1