Do you receive government financial support for your tertiary or secondary education? Are you unable to earn extra income due to a chronic illness or disability? Then you may be eligible for study benefit (studietoeslag) from your municipality.
All municipalities must pay an agreed minimum amount of study benefit to students with a medical disability. The amount of study benefit may differ from one municipality to another (in Dutch).
In all cases, the following conditions must be met to be eligible to receive study benefit:
- you receive student finance (studiefinanciering) as a tertiary student or a basic allowance (basistoelage) for secondary students;
- you cannot earn extra income alongside your studies because of your disability.
- you are not entitled to the Wajong benefit
All the conditions can be found on the website of the municipality where you are registered. If you have any questions about your situation, please contact the municipality.
You can apply for study benefit at the municipality where you live, regardless of where you are studying. Find out how to apply on your municipality’s website.
This is how it works in your (future) place of residence
Municipality of Vijfheerenlanden: Applying for study benefit for students with a disability
Please note: you can apply for a studietoeslag (study benefit) only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
Go to the website of Avres to apply (inDutch/ DigiD)
You must reapply for study benefit for each new school year.
Study benefit amounts
The amount of the study benefit depends on your age. These are the statutory amounts per month:
- 21 years of age and over: € 302,79;
- 20 years of age: € 242,23;
- 19 years of age: € 181,67;
- 18 years of age: € 151,40;
- 17 years of age: € 119,60;
- 16 years of age: € 104,46;
- 15 years of age: € 90.84.
You will receive a letter informing you of the outcome within 8 weeks of your application. What happens if the application is incomplete or more time is needed for the investigation? Processing may take longer than 8 weeks in such cases.