Do you receive government financial support for your tertiary or secondary education? Are you unable to earn extra income due to a chronic illness or disability? Then you may be eligible for study benefit (studietoeslag) from your municipality.
All municipalities must pay an agreed minimum amount of study benefit to students with a medical disability. The amount of study benefit may differ from one municipality to another (in Dutch).
In all cases, the following conditions must be met to be eligible to receive study benefit:
- you receive student finance (studiefinanciering) as a tertiary student or a basic allowance (basistoelage) for secondary students;
- you cannot earn extra income alongside your studies because of your disability.
- you are not entitled to the Wajong benefit
All the conditions can be found on the website of the municipality where you are registered. If you have any questions about your situation, please contact the municipality.
You can apply for study benefit at the municipality where you live, regardless of where you are studying.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Municipality of Ommen: Applying for study benefit for students with a disability
Please note: you can apply for a studietoeslag (study benefit) only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
To be eligible for an individual study allowance, you must at least meet the following conditions:
- You are at least 18 years old;
- you have no assets above the asset limit (Article 34 of the PW) (single person € 6,225 and single parents and married persons € 12,450) (home equity free up to € 52,500);
- you are following a study for which you receive a student grant (WSF 2000) or a contribution towards study costs (Wtos);
- you are unable to earn the minimum wage due to an occupational disability. This is because your disability makes you less productive, or you can only work a limited number of hours per day or week;
You have not previously received an individual study allowance for the current academic year.
On the next page you can find the form: https://www.ommen.nl/direct-regelen/zorg-inkomen-en-ondersteuning/werk-en-inkomen-o/individuele-studietoeslag/
You will receive a letter informing you of the outcome within 8 weeks of your application. What happens if the application is incomplete or more time is needed for the investigation? Processing may take longer than 8 weeks in such cases.