Do you receive government financial support for your tertiary or secondary education? Are you unable to earn extra income due to a chronic illness or disability? Then you may be eligible for study benefit (studietoeslag) from your municipality.
All municipalities must pay an agreed minimum amount of study benefit to students with a medical disability. The amount of study benefit may differ from one municipality to another (in Dutch).
In all cases, the following conditions must be met to be eligible to receive study benefit:
- you receive student finance (studiefinanciering) as a tertiary student or a basic allowance (basistoelage) for secondary students;
- you cannot earn extra income alongside your studies because of your disability.
- you are not entitled to the Wajong benefit
All the conditions can be found on the website of the municipality where you are registered. If you have any questions about your situation, please contact the municipality.
You can apply for study benefit at the municipality where you live, regardless of where you are studying. Find out how to apply on your municipality’s website.
This is how it works in your (future) place of residence
Municipality of Kapelle: Applying for study benefit for students with a disability
Please note: you can apply for a studietoeslag (study benefit) only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
The following conditions apply:
- You are registered with the municipality of Kapelle.
- You do not receive Wajong benefits, which are benefits under the Wet arbeidsongeschiktheidsvoorziening jonggehandicapten (Law on the provision of incapacity benefit to disabled young people).
- You receive student finance under the Wet op de studiefinanciering – WSF (Student Finance Act) or a contribution on the basis of the Wet tegemoetkoming onderwijsbijdrage en schoolkosten – WTOS (Fees and Educational Expenses (Allowances) Act).
- You are fundamentally unable to earn an income alongside your studies due to illness or infirmity. You can demonstrate this by means of a recent medical report from a recognised medical examiner. That report shows that you have limited capacity due to your disability. The report may not be more than 2 years old. Do you not have that report? The municipality will assess whether you belong to the target group on the basis of the Verordening loonkostensubsidie (Wage Subsidy Regulation). You must cooperate with any investigation that may be required.
Would you like to apply for the study benefit or would you like to know more about the study benefit? Then call the customer contact center on 0113 239 100.
You must reapply for study benefit for each new school year.
Study benefit amounts
The amount of the study benefit depends on your age. The statutory amounts per month.
You will receive a letter informing you of the outcome within 8 weeks of your application. What happens if the application is incomplete or more time is needed for the investigation? Processing may take longer than 8 weeks in such cases.
M.A. de Ruijterlaan 2
8.30 - 17.00
8.30 - 17.00
8.30 - 17.00
8.30 - 12.30