Do you receive government financial support for your tertiary or secondary education? Are you unable to earn extra income due to a chronic illness or disability? Then you may be eligible for study benefit (studietoeslag) from your municipality.
All municipalities must pay an agreed minimum amount of study benefit to students with a medical disability. The amount of study benefit may differ from one municipality to another (in Dutch).
In all cases, the following conditions must be met to be eligible to receive study benefit:
- you receive student finance (studiefinanciering) as a tertiary student or a basic allowance (basistoelage) for secondary students;
- you cannot earn extra income alongside your studies because of your disability.
- you are not entitled to the Wajong benefit
All the conditions can be found on the website of the municipality where you are registered. If you have any questions about your situation, please contact the municipality.
You can apply for study benefit at the municipality where you live, regardless of where you are studying.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Municipality of Hoorn: Applying for study benefit for students with a disability
Please note: you can apply for a studietoeslag (study benefit) only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
The study allowance is for students aged 15 and older who, due to an occupational disability, are unable to earn money alongside their studies.
Amount of study allowance
The amount of the minimum allowance per month depends on your age:
- 21 years: €328.59
- 20 years: € 262.87
- 19 years: € 197.15
- 18 years: € 164.30
- 17 years: € 129.79
- 16 years : € 113.36
- 15 years: €98.58
You can receive a study allowance if you meet the following conditions:
- You are 15 years or older
- You have Dutch nationality or a valid residence permit.
- You live in the municipality of Hoorn.
- You are entitled to student finance or an allowance for education contributions and school costs.
- You are unable to earn money in addition to your studies due to a disability.
- You are not entitled to a Wajong benefit.
- You have no income from work. Do you receive an internship allowance? In that case, the amount you earn more will be deducted from your study allowance.
The municipality will contact you within 5 days to discuss your application.