Netherlands Worldwide

Applying for special social assistance

If you have a low income and it is impossible for you to pay exceptional and unexpected costs, you may be entitled to extra financial support from the municipality. This is called special social assistance (bijzondere bijstand).

This is how it works in your (future) place of residence

Your (future) place of residence falls under the Municipality of Tiel.

Municipality of Tiel: Applying for special social assistance

Special assistance is for necessary costs that you cannot pay yourself. Anyone with a low income and little wealth can apply for special assistance. Also people with, for example, a minimum wage, unemployment benefit or state pension. You can apply for special assistance for costs that are special and that you really have to incur. These are costs that do not occur every day and are necessary. For example, costs of a lawyer, costs due to illness and costs for an administrator. Are you unable to pay these costs yourself? And the costs are not paid in any other way, for example by your health insurance. Special assistance is not for costs that everyone has, such as rent, energy costs, telephone costs, clothing, medical costs, ID costs and damage.

Please note: you can apply for bijzondere bijstand (special social assistance) only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Tiel

Visiting address

Last updated on 21 September 2022