If you have a low income and it is impossible for you to pay exceptional and unexpected costs, you may be entitled to extra financial support from the municipality. This is called special social assistance (bijzondere bijstand).
Special social assistance is subject to the following conditions among others:
- you are lawfully living and staying in the Netherlands.
- you do not have enough income and funds to pay the costs yourself.
- you are at least 18 years old.
- you have expenses due to an exceptional or urgent situation, such as surgery or moving house.
- you cannot cover the costs in any other way.
Your municipality can tell you what other conditions apply in your situation.
If you have any questions about your situation, contact your municipality.
You can also contact the Sociaal Raadslieden (social counsellors) in your municipality. They provide free information and advice on legal problems. If there are none in your municipality find Sociaal Raadslieden closest to you (in Dutch) on the Sociaal Werk Nederland website.
You can also get free legal advice in English from Het Juridisch Loket (Legal Services Counter) (link in Dutch). Het Juridisch Loket provides clients with advice and information on all areas of law. All consultations are confidential and free of charge.
This is how it works in your (future) place of residence
Bijzondere bijstand (special social assistance)
Please note: you can apply for bijzondere bijstand (special social assistance) only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
What are the conditions?
- You are 18 years or older.
- You live independently (possibly with a partner).
- If you have a higher capital or income than the standard, you can apply, but you will have to pay part of the costs yourself. This part is your own carrying capacity.
- The costs are necessary.
- The costs cannot be reimbursed from another scheme.
- The costs were incurred no more than three months ago.
- The costs are higher than € 50,-.
Note: Submit your application before incurring the costs.
Print the online form and fill it in. Send it to:
8070 AB Nunspeet
You must also send the following:
- a copy of a valid form of identification,
- proof of your income,
- the most recent statements from all current and savings accounts,
- proof of assets and/or debts,
- a quotation or invoice of the costs for which you request special social welfare assistance.