If you have a low income and it is impossible for you to pay exceptional and unexpected costs, you may be entitled to extra financial support from the municipality. This is called special social assistance (bijzondere bijstand).
Special social assistance is subject to the following conditions among others:
- you are lawfully living and staying in the Netherlands.
- you do not have enough income and funds to pay the costs yourself.
- you are at least 18 years old.
- you have expenses due to an exceptional or urgent situation, such as surgery or moving house.
- you cannot cover the costs in any other way.
Your municipality can tell you what other conditions apply in your situation.
If you have any questions about your situation, contact your municipality.
You can also contact the Sociaal Raadslieden (social counsellors) in your municipality. They provide free information and advice on legal problems. If there are none in your municipality find Sociaal Raadslieden closest to you (in Dutch) on the Sociaal Werk Nederland website.
You can also get free legal advice in English from Het Juridisch Loket (Legal Services Counter) (link in Dutch). Het Juridisch Loket provides clients with advice and information on all areas of law. All consultations are confidential and free of charge.
This is how it works in your (future) place of residence
Special social assistance (bijzondere bijstand)
Please note: you can apply for bijzondere bijstand (special social assistance) only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
You can apply for special social assistance from the municipality if you:
- live in the municipality of Nijmegen;
- incurred the costs in the Netherlands;
- have wealth and possessions that (combined) do not exceed € 7.605 ( for a single person). For single parents or married persons/cohabitants the amount may not exceed € 15.210.
- financial information of yourself and (if applicable) of your partner;
- if applicable: the old or broken items for which you want to apply for special social assistance. You have to keep these so we can determine the necessity of the replacement or repair;
- documents which prove the necessity of your application. For example a moving advice or signed rental contract. Or an invoice of medical costs, with statement from your insurance company that they will not compensate these costs.
You can complete the application online or with a print form. Both options are not yet available in English.
You can contact one of the Stips in Nijmegen for help: call +31 24 350 20 00 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. A Stip is an information point that you will find in every quarter in Nijmegen. The staff in the Stip can help you with, for example, filling in forms.
The municipality will send you a letter within 8 weeks. It will state whether you will receive special social assistance and how much you will receive. It will also state whether you will receive special welfare assistance in the form of a loan or non-repayable allowance.