If you have a low income and it is impossible for you to pay exceptional and unexpected costs, you may be entitled to extra financial support from the municipality. This is called special social assistance (bijzondere bijstand).
Special social assistance is subject to the following conditions among others:
- you are lawfully living and staying in the Netherlands.
- you do not have enough income and funds to pay the costs yourself.
- you are at least 18 years old.
- you have expenses due to an exceptional or urgent situation, such as surgery or moving house.
- you cannot cover the costs in any other way.
Your municipality can tell you what other conditions apply in your situation.
If you have any questions about your situation, contact your municipality.
You can also contact the Sociaal Raadslieden (social counsellors) in your municipality. They provide free information and advice on legal problems. If there are none in your municipality find Sociaal Raadslieden closest to you (in Dutch) on the Sociaal Werk Nederland website.
You can also get free legal advice in English from Het Juridisch Loket (Legal Services Counter) (link in Dutch). Het Juridisch Loket provides clients with advice and information on all areas of law. All consultations are confidential and free of charge.
This is how it works in your (future) place of residence
Municipality of Doetinchem: Applying for special social assistance
Take note. You can only apply for special assistance if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
You can apply for special assistance at the municipality if you:
- live in the municipality of Doetinchem;
- made the costs in the Netherlands.
0031 314 377 377
Fill out the online form with your DigiD. You need to upload the following documents:
- A copy of your valid proof of identification.
- Proof of your income.
- The latest bank statements of all checking accounts and saving accounts.
- Proof of assets and/or debts.
- A cost estimate or invoice of the costs for which you apply special assistance for.
The municipality will send you a letter within 8 weeks. In this letter you will find if you are granted special assistance and how much you will receive. The letter also states if the special assistance will be granted as a loan or as a gift.