If you have a low income and it is impossible for you to pay exceptional and unexpected costs, you may be entitled to extra financial support from the municipality. This is called special social assistance (bijzondere bijstand).
Special social assistance is subject to the following conditions among others:
- you are lawfully living and staying in the Netherlands.
- you do not have enough income and funds to pay the costs yourself.
- you are at least 18 years old.
- you have expenses due to an exceptional or urgent situation, such as surgery or moving house.
- you cannot cover the costs in any other way.
Your municipality can tell you what other conditions apply in your situation.
If you have any questions about your situation, contact your municipality.
You can also contact the Sociaal Raadslieden (social counsellors) in your municipality. They provide free information and advice on legal problems. If there are none in your municipality find Sociaal Raadslieden closest to you (in Dutch) on the Sociaal Werk Nederland website.
You can also get free legal advice in English from Het Juridisch Loket (Legal Services Counter) (link in Dutch). Het Juridisch Loket provides clients with advice and information on all areas of law. All consultations are confidential and free of charge.
This is how it works in your (future) place of residence
Special social assistance
Please note: you can apply for bijzondere bijstand (special social assistance) only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
Conditions for receiving special assistance
- You must live in Culemborg.
- You will no longer receive special assistance provided afterwards. Please let us know that you will submit your application to the municipality on time. Only costs that you had to pay less than 3 months ago. You can submit an application for administration costs up to 3 months after the judgment has been rendered.
- Special assistance is for residents with an income of up to 110% of the social assistance standard. If you earn more, you must contribute part of the extra costs yourself. (See the income limit under More information)
- You will not receive special assistance if you have more than € 6,225 if you are single. As a couple or single parent, you may not donate more than € 12,450.
- If you need legal advice, please first contact the Juridisch Loket (telephone number 0900-8020) for free advice before you approach a lawyer. She will also refer you to a lawyer. You will then receive a discount on the personal contribution .
Do you want to know more? Then call the special assistance department of the municipality of Culemborg, telephone +31 345 477 700. Monday to Thursday from 09:00 - 13:00 and Friday from 09:00 - 12:00.
Would you like to apply for special assistance? Then download the form on our website. Print it out and send it to us, filled in with the requested supporting documents.
The municipality will send you a letter within 8 weeks. It will state whether you will receive special social assistance and how much you will receive. It will also state whether you will receive special welfare assistance in the form of a loan or non-repayable allowance.
9:00 - 16:00
9:00 - 19:00
9:00 - 16:00
9:00 - 16:00
9:00 - 12:00