Applying for a second passport in the Netherlands
Are you a citizen of the Netherlands and do you need an additional Dutch passport for your travels? You can apply for one from the municipality where you live. However, additional passports are subject to conditions.
You can use a second passport if:
- You travel to different countries that are in conflict with one another. Do you have a stamp from the first country in your passport? If so, you may not be able to enter the other country. A second passport can help you in such a case. The Ministerie van Binnenlandse Zaken – BZK (Ministry of the Interior and Kingdom Relations) provides a list of countries in conflict (in Dutch).
- You often need a visa for the countries to which you travel. Suppose your passport is at an embassy for the purpose of a visa application. Without a second passport, you will not be able to travel outside the Netherlands.
You can obtain an additional Dutch passport if:
- Your first and current passport is valid for at least another 6 months;
- You can demonstrate that you need a second passport. Ask your municipality, embassy or consulate what evidence you need to present.
Do you live in the Netherlands? If so, you can apply for a second Dutch passport from the municipality where you live.
Do you live outside the Netherlands? See how to apply for your second Dutch passport from outside the Netherlands.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Municipality of Voorschoten: Applying for a second passport
- A colour passport photo that meets the passport photo requirements.
- All the travel documents that you have, even if they have expired.
- A letter in which you demonstrate that you need a second passport. This may include, for example, business contracts, travel bookings, invitations from foreign companies, or other documents demonstrating that you need a second passport for business travel.
- Your first passport. Are you not currently in possession of your first passport because you have applied for a visa? If so, bring evidence of this with you.
You must apply for a second passport in person at the municipality where you live. You must also collect the passport in person.
Book an appointment now to apply for a second passport.
[pagina gemeente afspraak maken]
Do you need your document sooner than in 6 working days’ time? If so, you can request the urgent procedure. There is a surcharge for this service. If you apply before 12:00, you will be able to collect your passport after 2 workings days.
Do you need your document sooner? You may be eligible for an emergency passport from the Koninklijke Marechaussee (Royal Netherlands Military Police). More information can be found on the Defensie website
You pay a fee for this service. For more information, contact the municipality.
Your passport will be ready for collection from the municipality after 6 working days. You have 3 months in which to collect your new passport.
A second passport is valid for 2 years.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Voorschoten