Applying for a second passport in the Netherlands
Are you a citizen of the Netherlands and do you need an additional Dutch passport for your travels? You can apply for one from the municipality where you live. However, additional passports are subject to conditions.
You can use a second passport if:
- You travel to different countries that are in conflict with one another. Do you have a stamp from the first country in your passport? If so, you may not be able to enter the other country. A second passport can help you in such a case. The Ministerie van Binnenlandse Zaken – BZK (Ministry of the Interior and Kingdom Relations) provides a list of countries in conflict (in Dutch).
- You often need a visa for the countries to which you travel. Suppose your passport is at an embassy for the purpose of a visa application. Without a second passport, you will not be able to travel outside the Netherlands.
You can obtain an additional Dutch passport if:
- Your first and current passport is valid for at least another 6 months;
- You can demonstrate that you need a second passport. Ask your municipality, embassy or consulate what evidence you need to present.
Do you live in the Netherlands? If so, you can apply for a second Dutch passport from the municipality where you live.
Do you live outside the Netherlands? See how to apply for your second Dutch passport from outside the Netherlands.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Municipality of Borger-Odoorn: Applying for a second passport
Please note: you can only apply for a second passport if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
To apply for a second passport, you must meet the following conditions:
- You are a Dutch citizen.
- Your first passport is valid for at least another 6 months.
- You can demonstrate that you need the second passport.
- You are travelling to a country that you cannot enter using a Dutch identity card.
You must apply for a second passport in person at the municipality where you live. You must also collect the passport in person.
Contact us to book an appointment to apply for a second passport.
- Adults: € 77.85
- Children up to the age of 18: € 58.85
- Spoedaanvraag (urgent request): € 53.00 extra
After around a week, you can collect your passport yourself from the municipality. This also applies to children up to the age of 18. When you apply, you will be provided with more information about how to collect your passport.
You have 3 months in which to collect your new passport.
Do you need your passport sooner than that?
- If you need your passport quickly, you can make a spoedaanvraag (urgent request). If you apply for the passport before 15:00, you will be able to collect it after 2 working days. Allow for some delay if you no longer have your old passport.
A second passport is valid for 2 years.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Borger-Odoorn