Netherlands Worldwide

Applying for a planning permit

Are you planning to build or demolish something in your garden or next to your home? For example, do you intend to build a garage or cut down a tree? If so, you will often need a planning permit (omgevingsvergunning). You can apply for this permit via Omgevingsloket online. In some cases you only need to notify the authorities, and no permit is required.

This is how it works in your (future) place of residence

Your (future) place of residence falls under the Municipality of Smallingerland.

Municipality of Smallingerland: Applying for a planning permit

Announcements are public publications of decisions and rules that may be relevant to you. For example, environmental permits, traffic decisions, regulations and policy rules. We publish them on You can also see the announcements each week on our noticeboard on the end of the municipal building, The announcements are also published each Wednesday for information in Actief. This weekly newsletter is free of charge and is delivered house-to-house within the municipality. In Announcements - Smallingerland is a list of locations where you can pick up the newsletter free of charge.

Do you want to lodge an objection? Then you need to do the following:

·         For a standard environmental permit (8 weeks) you need to object within 6 weeks of publication of the decision. Instructions how to do this are included in the published decisions.

·         If it is an extended environmental permit (26 weeks), then it is a draft decision. You can submit your point of view within 6 weeks. This is followed by a definitive decision. You can submit an appeal to the court within 6 weeks. Send your letter to: [address]

Useful to know

You can only make a start once you have received the permit. If you start any earlier, then you will likely have to reverse all the work you did at your own expense.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Smallingerland

Visiting address

Last updated on 26 September 2022