Are you planning to build or demolish something in your garden or next to your home? For example, do you intend to build a garage or cut down a tree? If so, you will often need a planning permit (omgevingsvergunning). You can apply for this permit via Omgevingsloket online. In some cases you only need to notify the authorities, and no permit is required.
You need a planning permit for various activities in your garden or in and around your house, such as:
- building a driveway;
- modifying, renovating or restoring a listed building;
- cutting down trees.
Go to Omgevingsloket online (online environment portal) to check whether you require a planning permit (in Dutch) or if just a notification is sufficient.
This is how it works in your (future) place of residence
Municipality of Hof van Twente: Applying for a planning permit
You do not always need to apply for an environmental permit. Sometimes a notification is enough. You can do a permit check via the Omgevingsloket (Environment Desk). This check makes it clear whether you need a permit or whether you only need to make a notification or whether you do not need anything (permit-free).
Please note: If you want to start building, your building plan must in principle comply with the zoning plan. Via Ruimtelijke plannen (Spatial plans) you can find more information and all zoning plans in Hof van Twente. If you want to deviate from the zoning plan, you can submit a request in principle. Before you submit an application, we advise you to first consult with the municipality.
This is different for every request, but the following list is required for every application:
- the name, address and place of residence of the applicant, as well as the electronic address of the applicant, if the application is submitted using an electronic form;
- the address, the cadastral designation or the location of the project;
- a description of the nature and scope of the project;
- if the application is submitted by an authorized representative: his name, address and place of residence, as well as the electronic address of the authorized representative, if the application is submitted using an electronic form;
- if the project is carried out by someone other than the applicant: his name, address and place of residence.
- The applicant provides the application with an indication of the location of the requested activity or activities. This indication is made with the aid of a situation drawing, map, photographs or other suitable means.
- The applicant shall include a statement of the costs of the work to be performed with the application.
- Go to Omgevingsloket online (Environment Desk).
- Do the vergunningcheck (permit check). You can see whether you need a permit or whether you need to make a notification.
- If you need a permit, you can apply for it immediately online in the Omgevingsloket (Environment Desk) or in writing. Log in with DigiD (for yourself), log in with eHerkenning for a company.
- You can apply for the permit immediately online or in writing. Use the Omgevingsloket for both options. Log in:
* for yourself: with DigiD
* for a company: with eHerkenning
The costs depend on which environmental permit you are applying for. Even if you don't get the permit, there will be costs. For the current costs, see the fee regulation of 2022.
The municipality will need 8 weeks (standard procedure) to assess your application. It will sometimes take 26 weeks (extended procedure). This will be the case, for example, if you want something different from what is stated in the bestemmingsplan (zoning plan). The municipality can extend the period once for a period of 6 weeks.
The list of permit applications and decisions are published on https://www.officielebekendmakingen.nl/. These can also be found in the Hofweekblad.
Do you disagree with the decision?
If so, you can lodge a complaint. The following applies:
- For a standard permit (8 weeks), you must lodge a complaint within 6 weeks of the decision being made and published. The conditions for lodging a complaint can be found on www.hofvantwente.nl .
- For an extended permit (26 weeks), the initial decision is a pending decision. You can submit your response within 6 weeks. After that a final decision will be issued. You can appeal to the rechtbank (district court) within 6 weeks. You can send your letter by post to: Municipality of Hof van Twente PO Box 54, 7470AB Goor.
Good to know
You may start work only once you have received the permit. If you start earlier, you may be required to undo the work at your own expense.