Do you have a European Union (EU) parking card for people with disabilities? Do you want to park close to your home or workplace? If so, you can apply to the municipality for a personalised parking space. Only the vehicle with the registered vehicle registration number may park in that space.
The municipality stipulates a number of conditions for issuing a personalised disabled parking space:
- you have an EU parking card for people with disabilities that is valid for at least 6 months;
- you do not have a permanent parking space on the premises of your home;
- you are the driver of a car, a motorised tricycle/quadricycle or a vehicle for persons with disabilities;
- you cannot walk more than 100 metres on your own, even with aids, such as crutches or a walker;
- you must be examined by a medical examiner. Your municipality will refer you to a medical examiner. Is your disability chronic? Is your municipality already aware of it? If so, a medical examination is not required;
- you are registered in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP) at the address for which you are requesting a personalised disabled parking space.
There are 2 types of personalised disabled parking spaces:
Personalised disabled parking space without time restriction
A personalised disabled parking space is a reserved parking space, for example at your home. A white road sign with a registration number is placed below the blue road sign with the letter P and a wheelchair symbol. Only the vehicle that has that registration number is allowed to park there.
Personalised disabled parking space with time restriction
A time-restricted personalised disabled parking space is a reserved parking space where you come at set times, for example your workplace. There is a second white sign under the sign displaying the registration number on the blue road sign with the letter P and a wheelchair symbol. This second white sign displays days and times. Only you may park in that space during those days and times. Anyone may park there outside of those days and times.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Disabled parking space on license plate
Please note: you can only apply for a parking space for the disabled by registration number if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
You may be eligible for a disabled parking space with a license plate if the following conditions are met:
- you are in possession of a valid disabled parking card
- you are in possession of a valid driver's license
- you are registered at the address for which you are requesting the disabled parking card.
- the car is registered in your name or that of your partner
Would you like to submit a request for applying for, changing or canceling a disabled parking space based on registration number? You can make the request via the Permit Checker. There, choose the Traffic tile. Follow the questions to find out what obligations you have to meet.
Have you already started and completed the Permit Checker, but do you want to change or supplement the application/notification? This is possible with the Permit Intaker.
The costs are:
- Construction of disabled parking: € 140
- Change of license plate: € 20
- Change of address: € 50
You will usually receive a letter within 2 weeks of applying stating whether or not you will be given the parking space. If an advisory opinion is needed, for example from the Gemeentelijke Gezondheidsdienst – GGD (Municipal Health Service) or the traffic police, you will receive a response within 8 weeks of applying.
Placing the parking space
If you are entitled to a parking space for the disabled, the municipality will contact you by telephone to determine the location in consultation with you. The municipality will place the parking space within 2 weeks.