Do you have a European Union (EU) parking card for people with disabilities? Do you want to park close to your home or workplace? If so, you can apply to the municipality for a personalised parking space. Only the vehicle with the registered vehicle registration number may park in that space.
The municipality stipulates a number of conditions for issuing a personalised disabled parking space:
- you have an EU parking card for people with disabilities that is valid for at least 6 months;
- you do not have a permanent parking space on the premises of your home;
- you are the driver of a car, a motorised tricycle/quadricycle or a vehicle for persons with disabilities;
- you cannot walk more than 100 metres on your own, even with aids, such as crutches or a walker;
- you must be examined by a medical examiner. Your municipality will refer you to a medical examiner. Is your disability chronic? Is your municipality already aware of it? If so, a medical examination is not required;
- you are registered in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP) at the address for which you are requesting a personalised disabled parking space.
There are 2 types of personalised disabled parking spaces:
Personalised disabled parking space without time restriction
A personalised disabled parking space is a reserved parking space, for example at your home. A white road sign with a registration number is placed below the blue road sign with the letter P and a wheelchair symbol. Only the vehicle that has that registration number is allowed to park there.
Personalised disabled parking space with time restriction
A time-restricted personalised disabled parking space is a reserved parking space where you come at set times, for example your workplace. There is a second white sign under the sign displaying the registration number on the blue road sign with the letter P and a wheelchair symbol. This second white sign displays days and times. Only you may park in that space during those days and times. Anyone may park there outside of those days and times.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Parking space for the disabled by registration number
Please note: you can only apply for a parking space for the disabled by registration number if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
Your request costs € 200,70.
A parking space can usually be placed for that amount. If the costs are higher (for example because a sidewalk needs to be modified), the costs are for you as the applicant. The municipality will always consult you if the costs threaten to be higher.
You will usually receive a letter within 2 weeks of the application stating whether or not you will receive the parking space. If approved, the municipality will make and publish a verkeersbesluit (traffic decision). The duration of this process is approximately 2 to 3 weeks. If no objections have been lodged against the decision, it will be irrevocable from 6 weeks after publication and the parking lot can be placed.
Placing a parking lot
If you are entitled to a disabled parking space, the municipality will contact you by telephone to determine the place in consultation with you. The municipality will have the parking lot placed within 2 weeks. You only need to hand in a license plate yourself at the municipal yard.