Netherlands Worldwide

Applying for a personal budget (PGB)

If you need care or nursing due to illness or disability, or you need help at home, you may be eligible for a personal budget (persoonsgebonden budget – PGB). You can use this money to pay for your care needs. For example, you can hire someone to help you with your shopping or clean your house, or you can arrange for youth care services for your child.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Personal budget (pgb) or care in kind?

Please note. You can only apply for a personal budget if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality. 

Are you eligible for help from the municipality? For yourself or for your child(ren)? Then you can choose whether you want to receive help via Care in Kind or via a personal budget (pgb).

Do you opt for Care in Kind? Then you will receive help from one of the organizations with which the municipality has a contract. 

Do you opt for a PGB? Then you can arrange the help yourself. You then have more choice. You must also keep your own administration with a personal budget. The Social Insurance Bank pays the bill of the person from whom you receive help.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Leiden