Do you live in an area where you have to pay to park your car or other vehicle? You can apply to the municipality for a residents’ parking permit (parkeervergunning voor bewoners). If you have a residents' parking permit, you do not have to pay for parking at the parking meter or via a parking app.
A parking permit is registered to a specified vehicle registration number. If you have more than 1 car or other vehicle, you must apply for a separate parking permit for each vehicle.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Resident parking permit
You can apply for a parking permit if you live in a paid parking area. You will receive the parking permit immediately if there is no waiting list in your parking district and you meet all the conditions.
To obtain a parking permit, you must meet the following conditions:
- You are registered with the municipality of Utrecht at the address for which you are applying for the parking permit.
- The resident's parking permit is registered by license plate and applies to 1 car.
- The license plate of the car is in your name. Is the license plate in the name of a leasing company, company or your partner? Then read what you need to do under 'What you need to apply'.
- Do you not have a registration number (yet)? Then you may only submit a written application without a registration number if the 'Waiting list 1st permit at address' for your parking district is longer than 6 months.
- Check whether your vehicle is allowed to enter the environmental zone. Do the license plate check.
- There may be no vehicle restrictions (axle load, length) or you have a vehicle exemption for this.
- You may not park a camper/caravan for longer than 3 consecutive days (General Local Ordinance, Article 5:6).
Take extra care if you:
- Share the car with someone else. Read more about car sharing parking permit.
- (Temporarily) have another car.
- Did not pay the parking permit on time and received a parking ticket. The parking ticket will not be canceled (must be paid). You can object to this if you no longer agree.
2nd parking permit or no permit
- If there is sufficient permit space, the municipality will in some cases issue a 2nd parking permit.
- Some addresses receive less or no parking permit(s) at all. These addresses are listed in the Address list exclusion of parking permit(s) due to shared parking facilities (pdf, 954 kB). If you are still eligible for a permit, you will pay the high rate (see 'Costs and payments')
- We deduct each private parking facility (for example a garage or driveway) from the maximum number of parking permits that you can obtain at your address.
Different attachments are required for each situation. Contact us for more information.
You can apply for a parking permit online. To do this, log in with your DigiD.
In the following cases, you must apply in writing:
- you do not have a DigiD
- you have a car with a foreign number plate
You will receive the permit immediately if the license plate is in your name, there is no waiting list and you pay with IDEAL.
|Area||Permit||Costs 2023 (per quarter of a year)|
|Zone A1||1st parking permit||€ 144,48|
|Zone A2||1st parking permit||€ 85,38|
|2nd parking permit||€ 213,45|
|Zone B1||1st parking permit||€ 37,17|
|2nd parking permit||€ 92,94|
The application for a permit for a lease or company car takes a maximum of 1 working day. If you apply in writing, you will be notified within 8 weeks.
Waiting list parking permit
Sometimes there is a waiting list for a permit in your parking district. You cannot obtain a permit for another parking area.