Applying for a new passport or renewing your old one in the Netherlands
Do you want to apply for a new passport or renew your old one? The application process depends on where you hold citizenship and where you live.
- Do you hold Dutch citizenship? Then you can apply or renew at your municipality.
- Do you hold Dutch citizenship, but have no fixed place of residence? Then you can contact a Dutch border municipality to apply for a new passport or to renew your old one.
- Do you not hold Dutch citizenship? Visit your own embassy or consulate for a passport.
- Do you live in the Netherlands on a valid residence permit? Are you unable to get a passport from your country of origin? You may be eligible for a vreemdelingenpaspoort (alien passport). Ask at your municipality.
- Do you live in the Netherlands as an erkend vluchteling (recognised refugee)? Then you are eligible for a vluchtelingenpaspoort (refugee passport). Contact your municipality for this.
- A colour passport photo that complies with the Dutch passport photo requirements;
- All travel and identification documents in your possession.
Passport for children up to the age of 18
- Your child must be present when you apply.
- All parents / legal guardians must give permission for the passport application. You must fill in a form for this. You can get the form from the municipality. Bring the completed consent form with you to the application appointment. In a number of municipalities you fill in the form and give permission using your DigiD.
- A colour passport photo of your child that meets the passport photo requirements;
- All of your child's passports and identity papers. Even if they have expired.
- A valid proof of identity of all the parents/guardians.
Do you live outside the Netherlands? See how to apply for your Dutch passport from outside the Netherlands.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Applying for a new passport or renewing your old one
Please note: you can only apply for a new Dutch passport or renew your old one if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
Do you have Dutch nationality, but no fixed place of residence? Then you can contact a Dutch border municipality to apply for a new passport or to renew your old one.
You apply for a passport at the municipality. You can apply for a passport at home or at the town hall in Geldermalsen. Then always make an appointment. Your passport will be ready after about a week. We will then deliver it to your home or to another location in the Netherlands. You can indicate where and when we should deliver your passport. Or you can pick up your passport at the town hall.
We also offer home service. You can apply for a passport, identity card or driving license at home and have it delivered to your home. Always make an appointment for this. We will call you approximately 2 days before the appointment. An employee will then go through the appointment with you by telephone. An employee of the municipality will then come to your home to take the application. We deliver the requested documents to almost every location in the Netherlands.
Permission travel document child up to 18 years DigiD
Good to know: the retention period of the consent form is one month.
Passing travel document missing
Lost your travel document? First report that you have lost the document and then make an appointment to request a new document. From 1 October 2021 you can only travel to the (UK) with a valid passport. This applies to all countries of the UK. So for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Residents of West Betuwe who want to apply for a passport, ID card or (extension of the) driver's license do not have to take longer waiting times into account.
What you need to know
Always apply for your passport yourself. You choose a location where you apply for your passport. Are you applying for a passport at the town hall? Then make an appointment.
Are you applying for a passport at your home or other location? Then make an appointment. Unfortunately we cannot help you without an appointment. In case of a request on location, we will contact you by telephone in advance. Then we will go through the application with you.
Do you need a new passport quickly? Then make an urgent request. You pay a surcharge for this. You can only apply for an urgent application at the town hall. You can often pick up your new passport the next day. This is only possible at the town hall. In the case of an urgent request, we will not deliver to your home or to another location.
Have you lost your old passport? Then the urgent request will take longer.
Lost or stolen
Has your passport been lost or stolen? Apply for a new passport immediately. When applying for a new passport, you sign the Declaration of Loss. You do not have to report this to the police. In the case of theft, pickpocketing and other crimes, it is wise to do this. Can you still find your old passport? Then hand it in to the municipality. Your passport is no longer valid, but fraud is also possible with an old passport. Do you have to travel immediately? Then request an emergency document from the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee.
Young people between 12 and 18 years old
Are you between 12 and 18 years old? Then you can apply for a passport yourself. Your parents or guardians must give permission. To do this, print out the 'Consent form travel document for children up to the age of 18', fill it in and have it signed. Or give permission via DigiD. Please also bring proof of identity from both parents or guardians. Your parents or guardians do not need to be present at the application. You must be present when the passport is handed over.
Children from 0 to 12 years
Parents or guardians can apply for a passport. The child must be present at the application. The parent or guardian who is not present at the time of the application must give permission. To do this, print out the form 'Consent form travel document for children up to the age of 18', fill it in and have it signed. Or give permission via DigiD. Also bring the original IDs of both parents or guardians. The child must be present when the identity card is handed over.
Traveling with children
Are you traveling abroad with your children? They must then always have a passport or identity card with them. Do you have a different last name than her? You will then need proof that you are the father or mother, or have parental authority. More information about traveling with children can be found on the website of the Dutch government
18 years or older: 10 years
Under 18 years: 5 years
Request and collect
Are you applying for a passport at your home, at another location or at the town hall? Then have the following at hand:
• Any IDs and passports you have. Even if they have expired.
• 1 passport photo. Note the requirements. We recommend that you have the photo taken by a professional photographer. This will prevent us from being able to use your passport photo. There is also a passport photo machine in the town hall in Geldermalsen. With this you can easily make a passport photo yourself. You need cash for this. It is not possible for children under the age of 12 to take passport photos in this device.
• A debit card to pay for your passport. Debit cards are possible at your home, at another location and at the town hall.
Are you under 18 years old?
Then you also need the following documents:
• Written consent from both parents or those who have parental authority. Print out the form 'Consent form travel document for children up to the age of 18' and have it signed. Or give permission via DigiD. Good to know: the retention period of the consent form is one month.
• (Copy) proof of identity of both parents or those who have parental authority.
Pick up or delivery
• You must always receive the passport in person.
• You can pick up your passport after about a week. Or we deliver the document to almost any location you want.
• The Dynasure company delivers the document on our behalf. When your passport is ready, you will receive an email from Dynasure. This contains a link to immediately schedule your delivery appointment online. Don't have an email address or SMS? Then we will call you to schedule an appointment.
• On the day of delivery you will receive an email and/or SMS from Dynasure early in the morning. This includes the expected delivery time. You can track the delivery of your requested document in real time. You can see which delivery person is visiting you, where the delivery person is located and how long it takes for the delivery person to arrive at your place.
• 30-60 minutes before the delivery person arrives, you will receive another text message with the delivery person's exact arrival time.
• Do you still have an old passport? Then have your passport ready to hand in to the Dynasure delivery person. Or hand in your old passport at the town hall.
• Upon arrival, the delivery person will check your identity. The delivery person will then hand you your new passport.
• When handing over travel documents to children under the age of 12, a parent/guardian must always be present. Passport for your child(ren)?
Always take your child(ren) with you when requesting and collecting.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of West Betuwe
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 12:30