Applying for a new passport or renewing your old one in the Netherlands
Do you want to apply for a new passport or renew your old one? The application process depends on where you hold citizenship and where you live.
- Do you hold Dutch citizenship? Then you can apply or renew at your municipality.
- Do you hold Dutch citizenship, but have no fixed place of residence? Then you can contact a Dutch border municipality to apply for a new passport or to renew your old one.
- Do you not hold Dutch citizenship? Visit your own embassy or consulate for a passport.
- Do you live in the Netherlands on a valid residence permit? Are you unable to get a passport from your country of origin? You may be eligible for a vreemdelingenpaspoort (alien passport). Ask at your municipality.
- Do you live in the Netherlands as an erkend vluchteling (recognised refugee)? Then you are eligible for a vluchtelingenpaspoort (refugee passport). Contact your municipality for this.
- A colour passport photo that complies with the Dutch passport photo requirements;
- All travel and identification documents in your possession.
Passport for children up to the age of 18
- Your child must be present when you apply.
- All parents / legal guardians must give permission for the passport application. You must fill in a form for this. You can get the form from the municipality. Bring the completed consent form with you to the application appointment. In a number of municipalities you fill in the form and give permission using your DigiD.
- A colour passport photo of your child that meets the passport photo requirements;
- All of your child's passports and identity papers. Even if they have expired.
- A valid proof of identity of all the parents/guardians.
Do you live outside the Netherlands? See how to apply for your Dutch passport from outside the Netherlands.
This is how it works for you
Your (future) place of residence falls under:
Information: This information is not yet available from your municipality.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Public Information Service