Do you want to apply for a new passport or renew your old one? The application process depends on where you hold citizenship and where you live.
- Do you hold Dutch citizenship? Then you can apply or renew at your municipality.
- Do you hold Dutch citizenship, but have no fixed place of residence? Then you can contact a Dutch border municipality to apply for a new passport or to renew your old one.
- Do you not hold Dutch citizenship? Visit your own embassy or consulate for a passport.
- Do you live in the Netherlands on a valid residence permit? Are you unable to get a passport from your country of origin? Then you can apply for a vreemdelingenpaspoort (alien passport) at your municipality.
- Do you live in the Netherlands as an erkend vluchteling (recognised refugee)? Then you can apply for a vluchtelingenpaspoort (refugee passport) at your municipality.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Applying for a new passport or renewing your old one
Please note: you can only apply for a new Dutch passport or renew your old one if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
Do you have Dutch nationality, but no fixed place of residence? Then you can contact a Dutch border municipality to apply for a new passport or to renew your old one.
You can apply for your passport at the municipality where you live. Make an appointment for this. The passport is valid for 10 years for persons over 18 years of age. Previously this was 5 years. For persons under the age of 18, a passport is valid for 5 years.
- All travel documents (passport, identity card) you have, even if they are expired.
- 1 recent passport photo. The professional photographer knows the requirements for a passport photo.
- Younger than 18 years: completed consent form for the travel document for minors (the form can be found on the website) and one (copy of) proof of identity from both parents (or from the person who has custody of the child). First read the information about permission when applying for a passport for children under the age of 18.
- Money: you pay for the passport with pin or cash.
After around a week, you can collect your passport yourself from the municipality. This also applies to children up to the age of 18. When you apply, you will be provided with more information about how to collect your passport.
You have 3 months in which to collect your new passport.
Do you need your passport sooner than that?
- If you need your passport quickly, you can make a spoedaanvraag (urgent request). If you apply for the passport before 14:00, you will be able to collect it the next working day. Allow for some delay if you no longer have your old passport.
- If you need the passport today, contact the Koninklijke Marechaussee (Royal Netherlands Marechaussee) for an emergency passport.
- An adult passport is valid for 10 years.
- For children up to the age of 18, a passport is valid for 5 years.