Applying for a new passport or renewing your old one in the Netherlands
Do you want to apply for a new passport or renew your old one? The application process depends on where you hold citizenship and where you live.
- Do you hold Dutch citizenship? Then you can apply or renew at your municipality.
- Do you hold Dutch citizenship, but have no fixed place of residence? Then you can contact a Dutch border municipality to apply for a new passport or to renew your old one.
- Do you not hold Dutch citizenship? Visit your own embassy or consulate for a passport.
- Do you live in the Netherlands on a valid residence permit? Are you unable to get a passport from your country of origin? You may be eligible for a vreemdelingenpaspoort (alien passport). Ask at your municipality.
- Do you live in the Netherlands as an erkend vluchteling (recognised refugee)? Then you are eligible for a vluchtelingenpaspoort (refugee passport). Contact your municipality for this.
- A colour passport photo that complies with the Dutch passport photo requirements;
- All travel and identification documents in your possession.
Passport for children up to the age of 18
- Your child must be present when you apply.
- All parents / legal guardians must give permission for the passport application. You must fill in a form for this. You can get the form from the municipality. Bring the completed consent form with you to the application appointment. In a number of municipalities you fill in the form and give permission using your DigiD.
- A colour passport photo of your child that meets the passport photo requirements;
- All of your child's passports and identity papers. Even if they have expired.
- A valid proof of identity of all the parents/guardians.
Do you live outside the Netherlands? See how to apply for your Dutch passport from outside the Netherlands.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Apply for a passport or identity cardApplying for a new passport or renewing your old one
Apply for a passport or identity card from the municipality where you live. You must be present at the appointment. You can collect the travel document after 6 working days.
You use a passport or identity card to show who you are. A passport or identity card is also a travel document that allows you to travel to other countries. With an identity card you can visit most European countries. With a passport you can visit all countries. You also need a visa for some countries. More information about traveling abroad can be found at Rijksoverheid.nl(link is external).
With your new identity card you can log in to the government, education, healthcare or your pension fund.
Children need their own passport or identity card to travel abroad. Children from 14 years old must be able to identify themselves in the Netherlands.
If you are 18 years or older, your passport or identity card is valid for 10 years. A passport or identity card is valid for 5 years for anyone under the age of 18.
Anyone with Dutch nationality can apply for a Dutch passport and a Dutch identity card.
The municipality of Goeree-Overflakkee works by appointment. Make an appointment first:
Make an appointment
How to apply for a passport or identity card:
- You come to the church.
- You take all your travel documents with you, even if they have expired.
- You bring 1 color passport photo that meets the guidelines.
- You register your fingerprint.
- You pay for your passport or identity card when you apply. Please pay with pin.
From the age of 12, children may apply for an identity card without parental permission. Children up to the age of 18 need permission from both parents to apply for a passport. There are 2 options for this:
- A parent or guardian must accompany you to the municipality for the application. The parent or guardian must be able to identify themselves. The other parent or guardian must give written consent. You also need his or her proof of identity.
- Are you not bringing a parent or guardian to the municipality? In that case, both parents or guardians must give written permission. Bring the written consent and identity documents of the parents or guardians.
Is your passport or identity card missing or stolen? You do not have to file a report with the police. Report the missing person to the municipality as soon as possible and request a new travel document.
Take passport photos
You can have passport photos taken care of by a photographer, via an online passport photo service or you can take passport photos yourself at the town hall. The passport photos must always meet the passport photo requirements. You can use one of the two photo booths to take passport photos yourself in the town hall.
The photo booth is also suitable for the disabled and accessible for small, conventional wheelchairs. In addition, we recommend that you have children of six years or younger and a height under 1.20 meters photographed by a photographer.
The costs are € 7.00. You can pay this amount appropriately or contactless.
The costs for a Dutch passport are:
- for persons up to 18 years: € 57.30
- for persons of 18 years and older: € 75.80
The costs for a Dutch identity card are:
- for persons up to 18 years: € 36.95
- for persons of 18 years and older: € 68.50
Do you urgently want to apply for a passport or identity card? Then you pay € 51.60 extra.
After 6 working days you can pick up your passport or identity card at the municipality.
Is that taking too long? Then apply for a travel document via the urgent procedure. If you request the travel document before 3 p.m., it will be ready after 2 working days at the latest. You then pay a surcharge.
Is your travel document missing? In that case, an urgent procedure is not always possible. Inquire about this at the municipality.
Do you need the travel document even faster? You may be eligible for an emergency passport from the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee. More information about the emergency passport can be found on Defensie.nl.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Goeree-Overflakkee
Koningin Julianaweg 45
08:00 - 12:00
08:00 - 17:00
08.00 - 17.00
08:00 - 17:00
18:00 - 20:00
08:00 - 12:00