Do you want to apply for a new passport or renew your old one? The application process depends on where you hold citizenship and where you live.
- Do you hold Dutch citizenship? Then you can apply or renew at your municipality.
- Do you hold Dutch citizenship, but have no fixed place of residence? Then you can contact a Dutch border municipality to apply for a new passport or to renew your old one.
- Do you not hold Dutch citizenship? Visit your own embassy or consulate for a passport.
- Do you live in the Netherlands on a valid residence permit? Are you unable to get a passport from your country of origin? Then you can apply for a vreemdelingenpaspoort (alien passport) at your municipality.
- Do you live in the Netherlands as an erkend vluchteling (recognised refugee)? Then you can apply for a vluchtelingenpaspoort (refugee passport) at your municipality.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Applying for a new passport or renewing your old one
Please note: you can only apply for a new Dutch passport or renew your old one if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
Do you have Dutch nationality, but no fixed place of residence? Then you can contact a Dutch border municipality to apply for a new passport or to renew your old one.
Take the following with you when you come to apply for a passport:
- All your old travel document(s): passport and/or identity card, valid or not valid;
- A passport photo, not older than six months, in color that meets the passport photo requirements;
- For a refugee or alien passport: a valid residence permit;
- For a second passport: a statement in which your employer explains the need for a second passport.
Under 18 years old?
Or are you applying for a passport for your child? Please also bring:
- If parents or authorities apply for a passport for their child, the child must be present;
- Original proof of identity of (both) parent(s) or authoritative(s);
- A completed consent form (pdf) from (both) parent(s) or from the person(s) who have custody of the child. This applies to a passport application for children up to the age of 18.
If one of the parents is unable or unwilling to give permission, you can request replacement permission from the court.
Applying for a passport is only possible by appointment. You can request and collect it yourself. You pay the costs when you apply. The passport will be ready for you after 5 working days. Make an appointment via this link.
|Up to and uncluding 17 years||€ 58,80||5 years|
|From 18 years||€ 77,75||10 years|
|Extra costs urgent application||€ 53,00|
|Passport refugees/foreigners||€ 58,80||5 years (maximum)|
|Business passport||€ 77,75||10 years|
The passport will be ready 5 working days after your application. If your mobile phone number is known to us, you will also receive a text message. You can pick up your travel document at the town hall during opening hours. Making an appointment is not necessary.