Netherlands Worldwide

Applying for a permit for special transport on a waterway

There are rules for waterways, such as rivers and canals. For example, how big your ship is allowed to be to use the waterway. Is your ship larger than allowed? Or do you want to carry special goods on the waterway? You must then apply for a special waterway transport permit.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your province.

Apply for a permit for special transport on a provincial waterway

You need permission for many special traffic situations. This applies, for example, when you plan to:

  • transport large or heavy goods
  • operate a ship larger than officially permitted
  • have a plane take off or land at a location besides an airport
  • offer a public transport service.

You request this permission from the operator of the road or waterway. The road operator is usually the national government, province, water board or the municipality.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Province of Overijssel

Visiting address

Last updated on 2 June 2023