Netherlands Worldwide

Applying for an exemption relating to protected plants and animals

There are rules for the protection of animals and plants. Are you planning to carry out an activity that is harmful to protected plants or animals? For example, renovating a house where bats are present. Then you must request permission from the province. This is called an exemption.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your province.

Protected animal and plant species

You may not simply kill, capture or intentionally disturb protected species. It is also forbidden to take eggs and to deliberately destroy or damage nests, roosting places and eggs. In addition, you may not pick protected plants. Is this necessary for public health, public safety or education, for example? You must then apply for an exemption.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Province of Groningen

Last updated on 2 June 2023