Netherlands Worldwide

Applying for an exemption relating to protected plants and animals

There are rules for the protection of animals and plants. Are you planning to carry out an activity that is harmful to protected plants or animals? For example, renovating a house where bats are present. Then you must request permission from the province. This is called an exemption.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your province.

Exemption protected animals and plants

Are you going to carry out an activity where protected plants or animals may be compromised? If so, you may need an exemption. The Nature Protection Act (Wnb) protects nature reserves and wooded areas, and certain plant and animal species. It is forbidden to kill, wound or disturb protected animal species. Their permanent residence and habitat are also often protected. Protected plants and their growing places may not be destroyed or damaged.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Province of Gelderland

Also useful

Last updated on 2 June 2023