Netherlands Worldwide

Applying for an exemption relating to protected plants and animals

There are rules for the protection of animals and plants. Are you planning to carry out an activity that is harmful to protected plants or animals? For example, renovating a house where bats are present. Then you must request permission from the province. This is called an exemption.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your province.

Protected animal and plant species

Killing or disturbing a protected animal is prohibited by law. It is also an offence to pick, cut or uproot protected plant species. In some cases you can get an exemption for this, which you can request from the provincial authorities.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Province of Fryslân

Visiting address

Last updated on 2 June 2023