Does an organisation outside the Netherlands (e.g. a pension fund) need proof that you are alive? Then you need an Attestatie de vita (certificate of life). You can apply for this at your municipality.
There are 2 types of proof of life documents that are available in the Netherlands:
- The Attestatie de vita is an international document in Dutch and French. This document comes from the Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships (registers van de burgerlijke stand). You can use the certificate outside the Netherlands. You can also get an annex to the certificate explaining the document in German, Spanish, Greek, Italian, Portuguese and Turkish.
- The Bewijs van in leven zijn (certificate of existence) is an excerpt taken from the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). This states that you are registered as alive in the BRP. This extract is in Dutch and can be used in the Netherlands.
This is how it works in your (future) place of residence
Municipality of Ouder-Amstel: Applying for an Attestatie de vita (certificate of life)
You can apply for an Attestatie de vita (certificate of life) from the municipality where you live and are registered. You can only make the application yourself. Someone else cannot do it for you. You must make an appointment with the municipality to apply for a certificate of life.
- your valid ID
- possibly the message from the authority stating that you need a proof of being alive
- Log in with your DigiD at the municipality where you live.
- Fill in the details.
- You pay the extract online with iDEAL.
- You will be sent home a proof of being alive.
Or at the town hall:
- You personally go to the municipality where you are staying.
- You take with you:
- your valid ID
- possibly the message from the authority stating that you need proof of being alive
- You pay the costs with the application. Please pay with pin.
A certificate of life costs: € 13,50.
An attestation de vita or a multilingual model form for an attestation de vita costs € 14,30.
You will receive the certificate immediately.