Netherlands Worldwide

Applying for an EU parking card for people with disabilities

Do you have a disability? Would you like access to parking spaces that make parking easier and are close to shops or your office? Then you can apply for a European Union (EU) parking card for people with disabilities. You can apply if you have had a disability for at least 6 months and with the help of crutches or a walking frame cannot walk more than 100 metres on your own.

This is how it works in your (future) place of residence

Your (future) place of residence falls under the Municipality of Smallingerland.

Municipality of Smallingerland: Applying for an EU parking card for people with disabilities

Please note: You can only apply for an EU parking card for people with disabilities if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

Disabled parking card

If you have a disabled parking card and are visiting the centre, you can park for free for up to 3 hours. Then put your disabled parking card and a blue parking disc visibly behind your windscreen. The disabled parking card is valid for a maximum of 5 years. There are 4 types of disabled parking cards. Please indicate which one you want to apply for with your application. 

Types of disabled parking cards

Driver card: you cannot walk more than 100 meters independently with aids such as a cane or crutches for at least six months. The card is personal and no vehicle needs to be registered in your name. You do need a driver's license for the application. 

Passenger Card: You cannot drive on your own and always need assistance from a driver for door-to-door transportation. You cannot wait independently for at least six months and you cannot walk 100 meters independently without a walker, cane or crutches. With the passenger card you can ride with someone and this person can park on your card in a general disabled parking space. This card is personal. 

Combination card: you permanently use a wheelchair and/or have another serious physical disability that makes walking difficult. The combination card is issued in exceptional cases. 

Institutional parking card: you may also be eligible for a parking card if you live in an institution. Your institution must apply for the card.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Smallingerland

Visiting address