Do you have a disability? Would you like access to parking spaces that make parking easier and are close to shops or your office? Then you can apply for a European Union (EU) parking card for people with disabilities. You can apply if you have had a disability for at least 6 months and with the help of crutches or a walking frame cannot walk more than 100 metres on your own.
You must be able to prove that you are entitled to an EU parking card for people with disabilities. This requires a medical examination by a medical examiner. The municipality will arrange this for you. To qualify for an EU parking card for people with disabilities you should not able to walk more than 100 metres on your own, even with aids such as crutches or a walking frame. Is your disability chronic? Is your municipality is already aware of your disability? Then a medical examination is not required.
There are 2 types of EU parking cards for people with disabilities:
- You can drive yourself with a driver's card. These are the conditions for a driver's card:
- you have a driving licence;
- the driver's card is registered to you as a person, so you do not need to have your own vehicle;
- you cannot walk more than 100 metres, even with disability aids.
These are the conditions for a passenger card:
- you cannot drive yourself;
- you cannot walk more than 100 metres, even with disability aids;
- you always need your driver to help you from door to door;
- the passenger's card is only for your personal use.
Children under the age of 18 may also be eligible for their own passenger's card. They must meet the same conditions.
A combined driver’s and passenger’s card is also available.
Do you have a disabled person's parking card from another country in the EU? In that case, this card is also valid in the Netherlands. Do you want to renew your disabled parking card? If so, you can apply for a new disabled parking card in the Netherlands. The Dutch conditions will then apply.
You can apply for an EU parking card for people with disabillities through your municipality
Not registered with a municipality
If you are not registered with a municipality, you will need to apply for an EU parking card for people with disabilities at the Centraal Bureau Rijvaardigheidsbewijzen – CBR (central office for driving licences).
Renewing your parking card for people with disabilities after 5 years
Your EU parking card for people with disabilities is valid for a maximum of 5 years. If doctors expect you to recover from your disability within 5 years, your card’s validity period may be shorter. You can apply to renew your EU parking card for people with disabilities through your municipality. Do so in enough time before the expiry date, as your municipality will need time to assess your application.
This is how it works in your (future) place of residence
Municipality of Papendrecht: Applying for an EU parking card for people with disabilities
Please note: You can only apply for an EU parking card for people with disabilities if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
Please note: You can only apply for an EU parking card for people with disabilities after examination by a doctor from Argonaut! You have to pay a fee for the examination. For more information or to make an appointment please contact Argonaut, telephone number 088 - 229 80 80.
- proof of identity
- 2 passport photograph
- examination report with positive advice
- you need to pay a fee; check the fee at: https://www.papendrecht.nl/Inwoners/Overzicht_Inwoners/Parkeren_verkeer_en_vervoer/Gehandicaptenparkeerkaart
Apply for the card at the front office of the municipality. You will receive the card right away. Make an appointment here: https://papendrecht.mijnafspraakmaken.nl/client/#?product=9
You have to pay a fee for:
- the examination at Argonaut. For more information please contact Argonaut, telephone number 088 - 229 80 80.
- the application for the card. Check how much you have to pay at: https://www.papendrecht.nl/Inwoners/Overzicht_Inwoners/Parkeren_verkeer_en_vervoer/Gehandicaptenparkeerkaart
You will receive the card right away.
Contact details are not yet available for your municipality.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Public Information Service