Do you have a disability? Would you like access to parking spaces that make parking easier and are close to shops or your office? Then you can apply for a European Union (EU) parking card for people with disabilities. You can apply if you have had a disability for at least 6 months and with the help of crutches or a walking frame cannot walk more than 100 metres on your own.
You must be able to prove that you are entitled to an EU parking card for people with disabilities. This requires a medical examination by a medical examiner. The municipality will arrange this for you. To qualify for an EU parking card for people with disabilities you should not able to walk more than 100 metres on your own, even with aids such as crutches or a walking frame. Is your disability chronic? Is your municipality is already aware of your disability? Then a medical examination is not required.
There are 2 types of EU parking cards for people with disabilities:
- You can drive yourself with a driver's card. These are the conditions for a driver's card:
- you have a driving licence;
- the driver's card is registered to you as a person, so you do not need to have your own vehicle;
- you cannot walk more than 100 metres, even with disability aids.
These are the conditions for a passenger card:
- you cannot drive yourself;
- you cannot walk more than 100 metres, even with disability aids;
- you always need your driver to help you from door to door;
- the passenger's card is only for your personal use.
Children under the age of 18 may also be eligible for their own passenger's card. They must meet the same conditions.
A combined driver’s and passenger’s card is also available.
Do you have a disabled person's parking card from another country in the EU? In that case, this card is also valid in the Netherlands. Do you want to renew your disabled parking card? If so, you can apply for a new disabled parking card in the Netherlands. The Dutch conditions will then apply.
You can apply for an EU parking card for people with disabillities through your municipality
Not registered with a municipality
If you are not registered with a municipality, you will need to apply for an EU parking card for people with disabilities at the Centraal Bureau Rijvaardigheidsbewijzen – CBR (central office for driving licences).
Renewing your parking card for people with disabilities after 5 years
Your EU parking card for people with disabilities is valid for a maximum of 5 years. If doctors expect you to recover from your disability within 5 years, your card’s validity period may be shorter. You can apply to renew your EU parking card for people with disabilities through your municipality. Do so in enough time before the expiry date, as your municipality will need time to assess your application.
This is how it works in your (future) place of residence
Parking card for people with disabilities
How it works:
- You request a medical examination. This can be done online or by appointment.
- You will receive an invoice for the medical examination from Argonaut Advies. The municipality has asked this organization to do the inspections.
- Once you have paid Argonaut Advies, the appointment for the examination will follow. A doctor will examine you and you will receive the advice by post.
- Does the doctor approve your application? Make an appointment at the municipality to have the parking card made. Your card is ready while you wait.
- You live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
- You can walk less than 300 meters by yourself.
Request medical examination: booking an appointment
When you come by yourself: you only need to bring your ID.
When you give someone permission: you can give someone permission to apply for the examination in your place. This person must then bring the following:
- his own ID;
- copy of your proof of identity;
- written permission from you. A note stating that you give <name person> permission to apply for examination in your place, is sufficient. You close with your signature.
The person with your permission also needs to know the following:
- the reason for your request (for example, which physical complaints you have);
- which parking card you want to apply for (driver's card and/or passenger's card).
Collecting the parking card
Bring to appointment:
- passport photograph;
- printed medical advice from the medical examiner;
- proof of payment of the inspection costs and your account number;
- cash or your debit card.
Do you want someone else to collect the parking card for you? Then this person must also bring his own ID and written permission from you. For written permission, you simply write a note that you give <name person> permisson to collect the parking card. You close with your signature.
Request medical examination
Book an appointment by calling +31 24 329 90 00.
Collecting the parking card
Please note: you can only book this appointment if you have been examined by a doctor from Argonaut Advies. And if the doctor concluded that you are entitled to a parking card for people with disabilities.
Book an appointment: please call + 31 24 329 90 00.
Renew parking card
You already have a parking card for people with disabilities. And the card is (almost) no longer valid:
- Was your card valid for less than 5 years? Request another medical examination.
- Was your card valid for 5 years or more? Please call + 31 24 329 90 00. Make sure to call 8 weeks before the expiration date.
- medical examination: € 157,30;
- municipal parking card for people with disabilities: € 13,21;
- EU parking card for people with disabilities: € 28,99.
Does the medical examination show that you are entitled to a card? Then you will be reimbursed for the costs of the medical examination within 2 weeks.
It takes 20 working days for Argonaut Advies to arrange your request for a medical examination.
You can then make an appointment at the municipality to collect your parking card. We will make the card for you during the appointment. So you can take the card with you immediately.