Do you have a disability? Would you like access to parking spaces that make parking easier and are close to shops or your office? Then you can apply for a European Union (EU) parking card for people with disabilities. You can apply if you have had a disability for at least 6 months and with the help of crutches or a walking frame cannot walk more than 100 metres on your own.
You must be able to prove that you are entitled to an EU parking card for people with disabilities. This requires a medical examination by a medical examiner. The municipality will arrange this for you. To qualify for an EU parking card for people with disabilities you should not able to walk more than 100 metres on your own, even with aids such as crutches or a walking frame. Is your disability chronic? Is your municipality is already aware of your disability? Then a medical examination is not required.
There are 2 types of EU parking cards for people with disabilities:
- You can drive yourself with a driver's card. These are the conditions for a driver's card:
- you have a driving licence;
- the driver's card is registered to you as a person, so you do not need to have your own vehicle;
- you cannot walk more than 100 metres, even with disability aids.
These are the conditions for a passenger card:
- you cannot drive yourself;
- you cannot walk more than 100 metres, even with disability aids;
- you always need your driver to help you from door to door;
- the passenger's card is only for your personal use.
Children under the age of 18 may also be eligible for their own passenger's card. They must meet the same conditions.
A combined driver’s and passenger’s card is also available.
Do you have a disabled person's parking card from another country in the EU? In that case, this card is also valid in the Netherlands. Do you want to renew your disabled parking card? If so, you can apply for a new disabled parking card in the Netherlands. The Dutch conditions will then apply.
You can apply for an EU parking card for people with disabillities through your municipality
Not registered with a municipality
If you are not registered with a municipality, you will need to apply for an EU parking card for people with disabilities at the Centraal Bureau Rijvaardigheidsbewijzen – CBR (central office for driving licences).
Renewing your parking card for people with disabilities after 5 years
Your EU parking card for people with disabilities is valid for a maximum of 5 years. If doctors expect you to recover from your disability within 5 years, your card’s validity period may be shorter. You can apply to renew your EU parking card for people with disabilities through your municipality. Do so in enough time before the expiry date, as your municipality will need time to assess your application.
This is how it works in your (future) place of residence
Municipality of Nieuwkoop: Applying for an EU parking card for people with disabilities
Do you have limitations when walking and do you have a car or microcar or are you a passenger? Are you dependent on parking spaces that are close to your destination? Then you may be eligible for a European disabled parking card.
Driver card conditions
To be able to obtain a disabled parking card as a driver, you must be in possession of a valid driver's license and meet the following conditions:
- Have a demonstrable walking disability of a long-term nature (at least six months), as a result of a condition or deficiency.
- With the usual walking aids, not being reasonably able to independently cover a distance of more than one hundred meters on foot.
Passenger card conditions
It is also possible to request a disabled parking card for a passenger: a passenger card. To apply for a passenger card, you must meet the following conditions:
- You cannot walk more than a hundred meters independently.
- You are always dependent on the assistance of a driver for door-to-door transport.
What should I send?
- A copy of your valid ID.
- Copy of driving license with the application for a driver card.
- One recent color passport photo.
- If you still have a valid disabled parking card, keep it with you. You are not allowed to park in a disabled parking space without a card. You can then be fined. You hand in the old card when you collect the new card.
- A disabled parking card costs: €36.00
- The medical assessment is: € 120.00
Do you have an appointment with the medical advisor, but are you unable to attend? Then you must cancel by telephone at least 24 hours in advance. If you do not do this or do not do this on time, € 56.80 will be charged. You will receive an invoice for all costs (the card itself and medical advice).
Tom in de buurt processes applications for disabled parking cards for the municipality. After your application, they will contact you and determine whether you need a medical examination. Medical advice is always required for the first application.