Do you have a disability? Would you like access to parking spaces that make parking easier and are close to shops or your office? Then you can apply for a European Union (EU) parking card for people with disabilities. You can apply if you have had a disability for at least 6 months and with the help of crutches or a walking frame cannot walk more than 100 metres on your own.
You must be able to prove that you are entitled to an EU parking card for people with disabilities. This requires a medical examination by a medical examiner. The municipality will arrange this for you. To qualify for an EU parking card for people with disabilities you should not able to walk more than 100 metres on your own, even with aids such as crutches or a walking frame. Is your disability chronic? Is your municipality is already aware of your disability? Then a medical examination is not required.
There are 2 types of EU parking cards for people with disabilities:
- You can drive yourself with a driver's card. These are the conditions for a driver's card:
- you have a driving licence;
- the driver's card is registered to you as a person, so you do not need to have your own vehicle;
- you cannot walk more than 100 metres, even with disability aids.
These are the conditions for a passenger card:
- you cannot drive yourself;
- you cannot walk more than 100 metres, even with disability aids;
- you always need your driver to help you from door to door;
- the passenger's card is only for your personal use.
Children under the age of 18 may also be eligible for their own passenger's card. They must meet the same conditions.
A combined driver’s and passenger’s card is also available.
Do you have a disabled person's parking card from another country in the EU? In that case, this card is also valid in the Netherlands. Do you want to renew your disabled parking card? If so, you can apply for a new disabled parking card in the Netherlands. The Dutch conditions will then apply.
You can apply for an EU parking card for people with disabillities through your municipality
Not registered with a municipality
If you are not registered with a municipality, you will need to apply for an EU parking card for people with disabilities at the Centraal Bureau Rijvaardigheidsbewijzen – CBR (central office for driving licences).
Renewing your parking card for people with disabilities after 5 years
Your EU parking card for people with disabilities is valid for a maximum of 5 years. If doctors expect you to recover from your disability within 5 years, your card’s validity period may be shorter. You can apply to renew your EU parking card for people with disabilities through your municipality. Do so in enough time before the expiry date, as your municipality will need time to assess your application.
This is how it works in your (future) place of residence
Municipality of Deventer: Applying for an EU parking card for people with disabilities
Are you disabled and therefore have difficulty walking? You can apply to the municipality for a European disabled parking card. This card allows you to park in disabled parking spaces within the EU. However, you must follow the local rules for parking.
Please note: You can only apply for an EU parking card for people with disabilities if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
- Put your signature on the handicapped parking permit, or the permit will not be valid.
- New cards have a clear front and back. When you park your car, make sure the front of the card is clearly visible. The front is the side that says "front. If you don't, you may be fined.
When do you qualify for a disabled parking permit?
- you have been dependent on the disabled parking permit for more than 6 months;
- you are unable to walk 100 meters consecutively with the usual walking aids;
- for a passenger card: you always need the assistance of the driver for door-to-door transportation.
Are you applying for the disabled parking permit for the 1st time? Then you will always be medically examined. The doctor may also give a negative recommendation. You will then not qualify for a disabled parking permit.
When does the disabled parking permit become invalid?
- after the expiration date;
- when the card is used by someone other than the cardholder, and this person is not directly related to the transportation of the cardholder;
- when the data on the card is changed by the holder himself;
- upon death.
What do you need?
- a valid identification document;
- the completed application form;
- 1 passport photograph;
- if you are applying for a driver's license, please also bring your driver's license.
There are 2 types of disabled parking tickets:
1. Driver card: If you are disabled and you drive the car yourself, you can apply for a driver card. The parking card is not license plate bound, you can use the card for any car. However, the card is personal.
2. Passenger card: If your disability makes you always dependent on transportation by others from door to door, you can apply for a passenger card. The card is personalized.
You can apply for both a parking card for drivers and a parking card for passengers.
Make an appointment
From outside the Netherlands you can call +31 570 69 39 11. From the Netherlands the number is 14 0570.
1st application: € 31,50
Extension: € 31,50
Application for duplicate (in case of loss/theft): € 12,10
If your application is rejected, the €31,50 paid will not be refunded.
The card is granted for a period of 1, 2 or maximum 5 years. For a new application (extension) you pay € 31,50.
Once the municipality has received all requested information and documents, you will receive written notification of the granting or denial of your application after a maximum of 8 weeks. The assessment may take longer if advice is needed from several external agencies. If that is the case, you will be notified. If your application is rejected, the amount paid will not be refunded.
Contact the municipality at telephone number: 14 0570