Applying to collect a driving licence in the Netherlands
Have you passed your practical driving test? You can then collect your driving licence at your municipality. You are not allowed to drive a vehicle until you have collected your driving licence.
You must collect your driving licence in person at your municipality. Take along a colour passport photograph and a valid form of identification. The passport photograph in your driving licence must meet a number of requirements, for example, size and lighting.
If you want more information on how to collect your first driving licence, contact your municipality.
Applying for a driving licence as a 17-year old
In the Netherlands the minimum age to sit a practical driving exam for a car is 17 years. Those who pass are only allowed to drive with a coach (supervisor), until they are 18. If you want to apply for a driving licence as a 17-year old, you must first apply for a begeleiderspas (accompanied driving permit) (in Dutch). You can then select up to 5 supervisors who can register to accompany you while driving. The names of the supervisors you have chosen will be on the accompanied driving permit. These supervisors accompany you while you are driving until your 18th birthday.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Applying for a driving license
To apply for a driving license you must bring:
- If you are applying for your first driving licence: a valid passport or identity card.
- Your current driving licence. If it is no longer valid, you must also bring a valid passport or identity card.
- A colour passport photo that meets the passport photo requirements for the Netherlands. The passport photo must be no more than 6 months old at the time of application. You cannot have your passport photo taken at the municipality.
- Your debit card (preferably pay by card, but you can pay in cash).
- If you are not a national of a country from the EU, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland: a valid residence permit.
To collect your new driving license you must bring:
- The proof of collection
- Your old driving license, if you still need to turn it in
- Driving licence: € 44.65
- Spoedaanvraag (urgent request): € 78.75
After around a week, you can collect your driving licence from the municipality in person.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Utrecht