Applying to collect a driving licence in the Netherlands
Have you passed your practical driving test? You can then collect your driving licence at your municipality. You are not allowed to drive a vehicle until you have collected your driving licence.
You must collect your driving licence in person at your municipality. Take along a colour passport photograph and a valid form of identification. The passport photograph in your driving licence must meet a number of requirements, for example, size and lighting.
If you want more information on how to collect your first driving licence, contact your municipality.
Applying for a driving licence as a 17-year old
In the Netherlands the minimum age to sit a practical driving exam for a car is 17 years. Those who pass are only allowed to drive with a coach (supervisor), until they are 18. If you want to apply for a driving licence as a 17-year old, you must first apply for a begeleiderspas (accompanied driving permit) (in Dutch). You can then select up to 5 supervisors who can register to accompany you while driving. The names of the supervisors you have chosen will be on the accompanied driving permit. These supervisors accompany you while you are driving until your 18th birthday.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Please note: you can only apply for a driving licence if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
If you want to renew your driver's license, take the following into account:
- Do you have a truck or bus driver's license? Then you must first undergo a medical examination (category C1, C, D1, D, C1E, CE, D1E or DE).
- A new truck or bus driver's license is valid for a maximum of 5 years.
- Are you between 65 and 70 years old? Then your new driver's license is valid until you turn 75.
- Are you between 70 and 75 years old? Then your new driving license is valid for a maximum of 5 years.
- From the age of 75 you will be medically examined if you want to renew your driving licence.
- After a medical examination, the CBR may decide that your driving license is valid for a shorter period than normal, for example 1 year. You will receive a letter about this.
In case of first application, the conditions are:
- You lived in the Netherlands for at least 185 days in the past year.
- You apply for your driving license within 3 years after your driving test. Otherwise you will have to take the exam again.
You apply for your driving licence in person at the municipality where you live and are registered. You must make an appointment to do this.
[Make an appointment]
In some cases you can also apply for your driving licence online. You will then be able to collect the new driving licence from the service desk after just 2 working days. You submit the application via the RDW website. Visit the RDW website to find out how to apply for a driving licence online (in Dutch).
Driving licence: €41,60
Spoedaanvraag (urgent request) has a surchrge of: € 34,10
After around a week, you can collect your driving licence from the municipality in person.
Do you need it sooner than that?
If you need your driving licence urgently, you can make an urgent request. If you apply for the driving licence before 14:00, you will be able to collect it the next working day. You have to pay an extra fee for an urgent request.
How long are driving licences valid?
- Under 65 years of age: valid for 10 years.
- Between 65 and 70 years of age: valid until your 75th birthday.
- Between 70 and 75 years of age: valid for 5 years.
- Over 75 years of age: valid for a maximum of 5 years.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Oldenzaal