Applying to collect a driving licence in the Netherlands
Have you passed your practical driving test? You can then collect your driving licence at your municipality. You are not allowed to drive a vehicle until you have collected your driving licence.
You must collect your driving licence in person at your municipality. Take along a colour passport photograph and a valid form of identification. The passport photograph in your driving licence must meet a number of requirements, for example, size and lighting.
If you want more information on how to collect your first driving licence, contact your municipality.
Applying for a driving licence as a 17-year old
In the Netherlands the minimum age to sit a practical driving exam for a car is 17 years. Those who pass are only allowed to drive with a coach (supervisor), until they are 18. If you want to apply for a driving licence as a 17-year old, you must first apply for a begeleiderspas (accompanied driving permit) (in Dutch). You can then select up to 5 supervisors who can register to accompany you while driving. The names of the supervisors you have chosen will be on the accompanied driving permit. These supervisors accompany you while you are driving until your 18th birthday.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Applying for a Driving Licence
You must apply for a driving licence in person at the municipality. You can collect your driving licence after 5 working days.
- An identity photo that meets identity photo standards;
- Cash or a bank card. You pay immediately upon application.
- When applying for your first driving licence: a valid passport or valid identity card.
- When renewing your driving licence: your current driving licence. If this has already expired, then bring a valid passport or valid identity card with you.
Collecting your driving licence
You must collect your driving licence in person at the municipality. Please bring your old driving licence with you.
You must apply for a driving licence in person at the municipality. You should make an appointment to do this. You can collect your driving licence after 5 working days.
If you need a driving licence quickly, you can make an emergency application. If you make an emergency application before 14.00, you can collect your driving licence on the next working day. This costs extra.
You need to have passed your driving exam at the CRB to be able to apply for a driving licence.
Please note! It is not possible to make an emergency application in Gouden Handen.
Driving licence for young people under the age of 18
You can obtain a driving licence from the age of 17. Until you turn 18 you must always drive with a coach sitting beside you. For example, one of your parents can be your coach. You can have a maximum of 5 coaches. This works as follows:
- The coaches must register with The Netherlands Vehicle Authority (RDW);
- Once the coaches have registered, you can request an accompanied driving permit;
- Once you have received the accompanied driving permit, you can apply for a driving licence at the municipality
The CBR uses the health declaration to assess that you are mentally and physically able to drive. This is important for road safety. You can fill the Health Declaration in online at the CBR. You can also ask for the form at the municipality. You will need a Health Declaration in the following circumstances:
- You are applying to take a practical driving test for the first time or you want to add a category to your driving licence;
- You want to renew a category C and/or D driving licence;
- You have a medical disability;
- Your driving licence has been confiscated;
- You are 75 years of age or older;
You must undergo a medical examination before applying for a driving licence if you:
- Have a medical disability;
- Are 75 years of age or older and your driving licence is expiring;
- Need a driving licence for a lorry or bus.
Theft or loss of driving licence
- You do not need to report this to the police;
- You can ask for a new driving licence directly at the municipality. You must sign a Declaration of Loss when making your application;
- If you lose your driving licence abroad, report this to the police locally.
The Public Affairs Department at the Gouden Handen site in 's-Heerenberg has limited opening hours. Therefore, it is only possible to make an emergency application at the Didam town hall.
You can collect your driving licence at the municipality after about a week. If you make an emergency application before 14.00, you can collect your driving licence the next working day.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Montferland