Applying to collect a driving licence in the Netherlands
Have you passed your practical driving test? You can then collect your driving licence at your municipality. You are not allowed to drive a vehicle until you have collected your driving licence.
You must collect your driving licence in person at your municipality. Take along a colour passport photograph and a valid form of identification. The passport photograph in your driving licence must meet a number of requirements, for example, size and lighting.
If you want more information on how to collect your first driving licence, contact your municipality.
Applying for a driving licence as a 17-year old
In the Netherlands the minimum age to sit a practical driving exam for a car is 17 years. Those who pass are only allowed to drive with a coach (supervisor), until they are 18. If you want to apply for a driving licence as a 17-year old, you must first apply for a begeleiderspas (accompanied driving permit) (in Dutch). You can then select up to 5 supervisors who can register to accompany you while driving. The names of the supervisors you have chosen will be on the accompanied driving permit. These supervisors accompany you while you are driving until your 18th birthday.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Please note: you can only apply for a driving licence if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.
Apply for a driving licence online
- You apply for your driving licence online at the RDW via Apply for driving licence (in Dutch).
- You will enter a DigiD screen where you log in with your DigiD app. Have you not yet downloaded the DigiD app and/or haven't done the check with your proof of identity? Then check the DigiD website (in Dutch) for more information.
- You pay online via IDEAL and indicate where you want to collect the new driving licence.
- You will receive an e-mail from RDW confirming that your new driving licence will be made.
Collecting the driving licence
- The RDW will send you a message 2 working days after your application that your new driving licence is ready and can be collected.
- To collect your driving license, make an appointment online with the municipality of Bernheze..
- When you collect your driving licence, you must bring the old driving licence with you. If you did not yet have a driving licence, bring a valid identity document.
- Please note! You must collect a requested driving licence within 3 months, otherwise it will be destroyed.
Applying for or renewing a driving licence at the municipality of Bernheze
Do you not want to apply online via the RDW? Then you must arrange the application or renewal of your driving licence at the municipality of Bernheze. You can collect your driving licence after 5 working days. For both the application/extension and the collection, make an appointment. This can be done online or by telephone.
- Apply for/extend driving licence: make an appointment (in Dutch)
- Collecting a driving licence: make an appointment (in Dutch)
|Spoedaanvraag (urgent request)||€ 75.70|
After around a week, you can collect your driving licence from the municipality in person.
Do you need it sooner than that?
If you need your driving licence urgently, you can make an urgent request. If you apply for the driving licence before 14:00, you will be able to collect it the next working day. You have to pay an extra fee for an urgent request.
How long are driving licences valid?
|Under 65 years of age||valid for 10 years|
|Between 65 and 70 years of age||valid until your 75th birthday|
|Between 70 and 75 years of age||valid for 5 years|
|Over 75 years of age||valid for a maximum of 5 years|
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Bernheze
De Misse 6