Applying for an affordable housing permit
Do you want to rent affordable, social housing? In some municipalities you need anaffordable housing permit (huisvestingsvergunning) for this. Check with your municipality whether this applies in your municipality. If necessary, apply to your municipality for the affordable housing permit.
The type of housing available in the Netherlands includes affordable social housing, as well as more expensive housing in the private sector. However, Dutch municipalities make it a priority that low-cost social housing is available to tenants on a low income. That is why many municipalities require potential social housing tenants to have an affordable housing permit. They do this, for example, if there is a shortage of affordable housing.
Affordable housing permit often not required when renting from a social housing housing association
Are you going to rent social housing from a housing corporation (woningbouwcorporatie)? Then in many municipalities you do not need an affordable housing permit, but in some you do. Check with your municipality.
Eligibility for an affordable housing permit
The eligibility conditions for an affordable housing permit differ depending on the municipality. Eligibility criteria may stipulate that:
- you work or study in the municipality or region;
- you already live (or have lived) in the municipality or region;
- the property matches your income and the size of your family.
Check with your municipality whether you need an affordable housing permit and what the eligibility requirements are. If the municipality requires you to have an affordable housing permit, you can apply for one at your municipality.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Municipality of Wassenaar: Applying for an affordable housing permit
If you want to move into a house with a rent below the rent liberalization limit(link is external), you will need a Housing Permit pursuant to Article 2:2 Housing Ordinance Municipality of Wassenaar(link is external)
If you are going to rent a house through a real estate agent or a private landlord, you must apply for a housing permit from the municipality yourself.
Fees are charged when applying for a permit.
You need the following to apply for an affordable housing permit:
- A valid form of identification.
- A copy of the huurcontract (tenancy agreement), signed by you and the landlord, or a statement from the owner of the housing.
- Information about your income, within the last 3 months. For example:
* a payslip
* a statement from your employer
* monthly statement for your benefits or pension.
Those items of proof must not be more than 3 months old.
- An accountantsverklaring (audit certificate if you are self-employed).
- An overview of your education or training grant if you are a student.
Applying online via DigiD
- fill in the ‘Application for an affordable housing permit’ form;
- log in using your DigiD;
- add all attachments;
- pay via iDEAL.
You pay a fee for this service. For more information, contact the municipality.
If the application is complete, you will find out within 8 weeks whether you will be granted an affordable housing permit. What happens if the application is incomplete? The municipality will contact you.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Wassenaar