Applying for an affordable housing permit
Do you want to rent affordable, social housing? In some municipalities you need anaffordable housing permit (huisvestingsvergunning) for this. Check with your municipality whether this applies in your municipality. If necessary, apply to your municipality for the affordable housing permit.
The type of housing available in the Netherlands includes affordable social housing, as well as more expensive housing in the private sector. However, Dutch municipalities make it a priority that low-cost social housing is available to tenants on a low income. That is why many municipalities require potential social housing tenants to have an affordable housing permit. They do this, for example, if there is a shortage of affordable housing.
Affordable housing permit often not required when renting from a social housing housing association
Are you going to rent social housing from a housing corporation (woningbouwcorporatie)? Then in many municipalities you do not need an affordable housing permit, but in some you do. Check with your municipality.
Eligibility for an affordable housing permit
The eligibility conditions for an affordable housing permit differ depending on the municipality. Eligibility criteria may stipulate that:
- you work or study in the municipality or region;
- you already live (or have lived) in the municipality or region;
- the property matches your income and the size of your family.
Check with your municipality whether you need an affordable housing permit and what the eligibility requirements are. If the municipality requires you to have an affordable housing permit, you can apply for one at your municipality.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Municipality of Heemskerk: Applying for an affordable housing permit
- Do you rent social housing from a housing corporation? Then the housing permit is arranged through the housing corporation with which you enter into a rental agreement.
- Do you rent social housing from a private landlord? Then you must apply to the municipality for the housing permit yourself.
Applying online via DigiD
- fill in the ‘Application for an affordable housing permit’ form;
- log in using your DigiD;
- add all attachments;
- pay via iDEAL.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Municipality of Heemskerk