A milieuzone (low emission zone) is an area in a city where certain road vehicles are not allowed due to the level of pollution they emit. For example, diesel cars and lorry trucks. Are you unable to drive your vehicle in a low emission zone in the Netherlands because it doesn’t meet the emissions standards? You may be eligible for an exemption from the municipality.
On the milieuzones.nl website you can find out whether your vehicle is allowed in a low emission zone (in Dutch).
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Low-emission zone for diesel cars, diesel trucks and diesel buses
Diesel passenger cars
The municipality has a milieuzone (low-emission zone) for diesel passenger cars. Diesel passenger cars may only enter the low-emission zone if they are of emission class 4 or higher. This also applies to cars with foreign number plates .
Lorries and vans (diesel trucks and diesel buses)
The municipality has a low-emission zone for lorries and vans. Lorries, trucks and vans may enter the low-emission zone only if they are of emission class 6 or higher. This also applies to vehicles with foreign number plates.
Some diesel cars have an automatic waiver and are allowed to enter the environmental zone. You don't have to do anything for this. The following diesel cars automatically have an automatic waiver:
- Diesel ‘classic cars’ which are 40 years old and older.
- Old diesel camper vans whose owners live in the low-emission zone.
- Diesel vehicles which can transport wheelchairs (wheelchair accessible vehicles). You can recognise these vehicles in the number plate registry by the bodywork code 'SH'. Or codes 145, 146, 147 of 149.
- Certain categories of special trucks, such as concrete mixers, street sweepers, sewerage trucks and the like. For more information, see: Environmental zones for special vehicles (in Dutch)
In some cases you can apply for an exemption so that you can access the low-emission zone.
The municipality has different types of exemption:
- day exemption;
- exemption for medical reasons (modified vehicles);
- exemption due to financial situation (continuity of a company);
- exemption due to delivery time of another car (clean vehicle);
- exemption in special situations.
The municipality has several exemptions. View the conditions for each exemption on the page of the municipality:
- Conditions day exemption (in Dutch)
- Conditions exemption for medical reasons (modified vehicles) (in Dutch)
- Conditions exemption due to financial situation (continuity of a company) (in Dutch)
- Conditions exemption due to delivery time of another car (clean vehicle) (in Dutch)
- Conditions exemption in special situations (in Dutch)
You can apply for the exemption online (in Dutch):
- The day exemption for a delivery van costs: € 33.65.
- The day exemption for a truck or bus costs: € 32.85.
- Exemption for medical reasons (modified vehicles): € 54.60
- Exemption due to financial situation (continuity of a company): € 303.90
- Exemption due to delivery time of another car (clean vehicle): € 81.90
- Exemption in special situations: € 311.15 (car) or € 303.90 (truck or bus).
You pay the application fee whether granted the exemption or not.
- Day exemption:
You will immediately receive a message from the municipality with your exemption.
- All other exemptions:
You will hear within 8 weeks whether you will be granted the exemption. In MijnDenHaag, under MijnZaken, you can see the status of your application.