Are you unable to drive your diesel vehicle in a milieuzone (low emission zone) in the Netherlands because it doesn’t meet the emissions standards? You may be able to apply for an exemption from the municipality. To do so, your vehicle must meet certain conditions.
A low emission zone is an area in a city where certain road vehicles are not allowed due to the level of pollution they emit. For example, diesel cars and lorry trucks. There are 15 low emission zones in the Netherlands. There are also low emission zones for mopeds and motorbikes in Den Haag (The Hague) and Amsterdam.
On the milieuzones.nl website you can find out whether your vehicle is allowed in a low emission zone (in Dutch).
This is how it works in your (future) place of residence
Applying for an exemption from the low-emission zone
You want to deliver goods outside 05:00 and 12:00 (Window Times) within the Diepenring (Inner City) or other car-free areas.
During delivery windows
- Loading and unloading is only permitted without an exemption in the morning between 05:00 and 12:00 hours. We call this the window times.
- After loading and unloading you must leave the area again and park in a place where this is permitted.
Outside delivery window times
- Outside 05:00 and 12:00 hours you need an occasional or annual permit.
- With an exemption you may drive into the city center (Binnenstad Diepenring) or any other car-free area for immediate loading and unloading.
- Even with an exemption you may not park in a pedestrianized area.
- After loading and unloading you must leave the area again to park in a place where this is permitted. If parking is paid, you must also pay.
[Hier beschrijving van lokale voorwaarden] Of:
Do you want to know what conditions you have to fulfil to apply for the exemption? Contact the municipality via: [e-mailadres].
It is not possible yet to apply for the exemption online.
At the desk
You can also visit the Parking Desk (Harm Buiterplein 1) to apply for an occasional exemption. Read what you need to bring and make an appointment.
- Extract from the Chamber of Commerce
- Valid driver's license, passport or ID card
- Vehicle registration number
View the most recent prices on the Municipality of Groningen website.
You will find out whether you will be granted the exemption within xx weeks.