Acknowledging parenthood of your child in the Netherlands

Are you having a child, and you and the birth mother are not married or in a civil partnership? You, as a father or the female partner of a birth mother, can become a legal parent if you officially acknowledge parenthood of that child. This can be done free of charge through your municipality.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Wageningen: Acknowledging parenthood of your child

If you are not married or if you are not a registered partner with the mother of your child, you can officially recognise your child at the town hall.To do so, make an appointment at the Public Affairs Desk first. When you recognise your child, you will also establish what your child’s surname will be. When you have recognised your child, you will not automatically have authority over the child.Parental authority can be arranged via the Civil Justice website.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Wageningen

Visiting address

Last updated on 23 December 2022