Acknowledging parenthood of your child in the Netherlands

Are you having a child, and you and the birth mother are not married or in a civil partnership? You, as a father or the female partner of a birth mother, can become a legal parent if you officially acknowledge parenthood of that child. This can be done free of charge through your municipality.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Oudewater: Acknowledging parenthood of your child

You must go to the municipality in person to officially acknowledge parenthood of your child and to choose a surname. You can make an appointment for this before the birth of the child or after the birth of the child.

If you do not hold Dutch citizenship or you live outside the Netherlands, other rules may apply. You will receive more information and advice about your personal situation during your appointment.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Oudewater

Visiting address

Last updated on 23 December 2022