Acknowledging parenthood of your child in the Netherlands

Are you having a child, and you and the birth mother are not married or in a civil partnership? You, as a father or the female partner of a birth mother, can become a legal parent if you officially acknowledge parenthood of that child. This can be done free of charge through your municipality.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

acknowledging a child

If you are not married and you do not have a registered partnership, a child at birth legally has only a mother. If you want to acknowledge the child, you can make an appointment for this.

Afspraak maken

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of De Bilt

Visiting address

Last updated on 23 December 2022